Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 1, 2017   #451
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
What is this now? A quick-growing marijuana kit?
A bud in a week.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2017   #452
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

A different kind...one kind would get you arrested here; the other does everything but cook foods of all approaches by itself. We'll see!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2017   #453
imp
Tomatovillian™

14 jars of raspberry jam, just made with berries and sugar. Will probably put up some more yet of the raspberry jam.

Tomorrow/later today, big shopping day, shopping for several meats to put up along with some Philadelphia Pepper Pot soup, and mangoes to go with the last of the raspberries in a jam.

I'll be going to 5 stores all together, going to be tired. Each store has about 4 to 6 items I want on sale, so that is the deal. Almost everything to be bought will get canned, either straight up or like the Pepper Pot soup, as an easy "quickie" meal on the shelf. So, maybe 60 to 85 dollars, but rump roast at $1.29 per pound is hard to resist. Makes good stew.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2017   #454
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Raspberry jam...my favorite.
Old December 5, 2017   #455
imp
Tomatovillian™

I really love how this one came out- it's from the National Center for Home Food Preservation and is just the berries and sugar. Wow the flavor just shines through and is intense. Love that site.
Old December 14, 2017   #456
imp
Tomatovillian™

Putting up beef bottom roasts, cut into bigger pieces with S & P, some beef shoulder roasts with peppercorns and salt & some italian seasonings too. 2 pork butt roasts will also be canned, maybe with roasted Hatch chiles or some dried & toasted guajillo chiles made into a slurry for sauce. Then some blackberry jam and mangoes, apple sauce after the mangoes.

Have enough blackberries to maybe try making some blackberry - Hatch chili jam small batch to see if I like it.

Mushrooms will be added to some of the meats, maybe some marinated mushrooms per the National Home Canning site.

Busy week. <smile>
Old December 15, 2017   #457
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

You've been busy! And let me know how those marinated mushrooms turn out.
Old December 15, 2017   #458
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
You've been busy! And let me know how those marinated mushrooms turn out.
I will, the recipe sounds yummy. Probably best if they are canned up a week or two though.
Old December 29, 2017   #459
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Running extremely low on pint jars of canned cooked dry beans.
The pint jars seem the be the best size for me as they make a good lunch at work with bread.
They can sit in the truck till the cows come home and be ready to eat in a snap.
the other day I heated some up on the defroster vent.

Worth
Old February 28, 2018   #460
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tasted my homemade cucumber pickles since last summer.
Still good still crunchy.
Worth
Old March 1, 2018   #461
taboule
Tomatovillian™

It was funny to see this thread resurface, as I started thinking again of getting a bigger canner -I had mentioned here the AA 30. So I looked it up again and was surprised (unhappily) to see the lowest price anywhere at ~$349. Ouch, I thought last time I looked in the fall, it was $300 at Amazon, and under that at a place called Hayneedle (I think). Is it possible that it went up so high, or is my memory all messed up? Does anyone have an idea?

That would be the ideal size for me, being able to double-stack quart jars is a must for serious production.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #462
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
It was funny to see this thread resurface, as I started thinking again of getting a bigger canner -I had mentioned here the AA 30. So I looked it up again and was surprised (unhappily) to see the lowest price anywhere at ~$349. Ouch, I thought last time I looked in the fall, it was $300 at Amazon, and under that at a place called Hayneedle (I think). Is it possible that it went up so high, or is my memory all messed up? Does anyone have an idea?

That would be the ideal size for me, being able to double-stack quart jars is a must for serious production.
The price I have noticed fluctuates somewhat with the season.
Just get the thing and be done with it because they aren't going to get any cheaper.
I suspect a 10 to 20 percent rise in price due to new tariffs coming in place too.
That will increase the price another 35 bucks.

If you are going to use it on your stove make sure it will fit over any over head stuff like vent hoods and such.
Old March 3, 2018   #463
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I've had the AA 930 for 12 years now and love it. It really makes canning more efficient, safe, and pleasurable, especially for large batches. Remember that canner will last you a lifetime, so if you amortize that extra $50 over the next 25 years it is only $2/year.

Just go for it - you will never regret it!

TomVA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2018   #464
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I agree... it won't get any cheaper unless you find one on craigs list or an estate sale.. I doubt many will find one at goodwill or a thrift store... it happens but it is a once in a lifetime find I am sure... just ask me. i saw an AA 930 autoclave once but I passed it up.
Old March 3, 2018   #465
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post

This is a little better price if you buy on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-America...MAAOSw61hahF0U
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote