Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 15, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
With that insight, which I'm totally feeling. A Carolyn inspired haiku, 'Torn Tomato'.

the leaves twist and curl
conflicting energies rage
root and shoot battle
I LOVE it !!!!!!

Carolyn
Old July 16, 2017   #17
Loligo
Tomatovillian™

Haha, great haiku!

I'm not sure when the issue started, but I think I noticed it early last week. So far I don't see any more affected leaves, so fingers crossed.

@Nematode - I majored in zoology and am particularly interested in inverts! ...not sure about those nematodes though.
Loligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #18
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Is there a chance that you used the wrong fertilizer or over-fertilized?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017   #19
Loligo
Tomatovillian™

I guess there's always a chance, but I don't think I did either. I only have Texas Tomato Food and a fish/seaweed blend. If anything, I'm worried I don't fertilize enough.
Old July 22, 2017   #20
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Loligo,

The plant in your first photo could have either herbicide damage or a virus, possibly CMV (Cucumber Mosaic Virus). The symptoms are so similar it is almost impossible to diagnose with photos or observation. If you are curious, maybe give your extension agency a phone call and ask if they provide diagnostic services for home gardeners. Some extension agencies are great, others not so much. Meanwhile, just in case, and since CMV can be transmitted mechanically, you should do your pruning/handling on the questionable plant last and sterilize your clippers / wash your hands before working on the other plants.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #21
Loligo
Tomatovillian™

Yes, thanks Heritage! I have different pruners I've been using on those two plants, and have been sterilizing/washing everything.

I emailed the extension agency to ask about testing services, but I'm still waiting for a reply. I'll give them a call if I don't hear back soon. I also found a CMV test I can order online if I need to go that route.
Old July 27, 2017   #22
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loligo View Post
Yes, thanks Heritage! I have different pruners I've been using on those two plants, and have been sterilizing/washing everything.

I emailed the extension agency to ask about testing services, but I'm still waiting for a reply. I'll give them a call if I don't hear back soon. I also found a CMV test I can order online if I need to go that route.
The test kits are kind of pricey for a home gardener, that's why I am hoping the extension agency will do the testing for you. I use the ImmunoStrips from Agdia, they are easy to use but cost about $10/test if you buy them in packs of 5. I have seen CMV infected plants with symptoms very similar to your plant but I usually see more "shoestringy" leaves in addition to the feathering your leaves show. I have also seen mild herbicide damage with symptoms very similar to your plant. If your extension agency won't do the testing for you maybe just observe the plant for awhile and see how it progresses. If it is mild herbicide damage it will grow out of it and the new growth will be normal. If it is a virus the symptoms will remain and probably get worse.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote