Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 1, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirloom onions photos

Having never grown heirloom onions, I'm new to this adventure. I've always planted onion sets and these onions were given to me by an older gentleman with no instructions other than plant them in the fall and let a few of them stay in the ground till fall again. So this morning, I noticed that a several of the onions were doubling up in the row..and I picked the crowder uppers. I guess I'll know after lunch if I should have thinned them or left them go LoL
They sure do smell good!

Old June 9, 2009   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Try thinning some and leaving the rest maybe?? they are tough onions to handle your winters.

Please some photos as they develope through your season,i'm keen to see them.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I sure will. My daughter and I ate those onions in the photo last week for supper. I felt they were still a little hot but my eyes didn't water a bit when I was chopping them up and they had a great taste. They are now thinned out to where they should have room to get bigger. I'll go out and snap another pic when the sun is not so bright.
Old June 10, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Medbury,
Here is a shot of the onions growing in the raised bed. I used recycled footers from a building we tore down when we moved here. I am an admitted tightwad

Last edited by Barbee; June 10, 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: cant type
Barbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #5
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

They look really good Barbee. Healthy, growing, and like they'd taste really good in the alfredo we're having tonight. *eyeing the onions in my garden* Hmmm....
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

i've noticed that they are growing top sets a bit like walking or tree onions.can you not found the name of them Barbee??
Old June 10, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

No, I have no clue what the name is. The man who gave them to me said his mother grew them for as long as he could remember and he is about 75 now. He is very ill and his family has no interest in gardening. So he wanted to make sure someone would keep them going. The only instructions he gave me was plant them in the fall and let a few flower so you can keep them going.
He did comment that they have a gorgeous flower that comes on them if that helps?
BTW, this funky things at the top (topsets?)..I pulled several of those off earlier in the season. I thought I got them all, but evidently I missed some. Should I not do that?
Old June 10, 2009   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

no thats where the flowers will come,how many more still have the tops in??
Old June 10, 2009   #9
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if there is there another way to propagate them? Perhaps saving the bulbs and planting again next year instead of eating them will get them to flower again.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to look tomorrow to see how many have the tops left. Not many, I'm sure. Great.. I have chopped off their heads
Old June 14, 2009   #11
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

its OK barbee!
Ive got some similar in Cincinnati, and as long as you dont eat all of them, next year theyll send up topsets again.

the largest one I picked was about 1/8 cup or so bottom bulb. topsets are good in pasta salad or stirfry- leaves get tough over the season but are good like chives

my walking onions get tiny flowers some summers but mostly reproduce by those topsets.

good luck!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote