Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 11, 2013   #16
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Sip - I'm using Raybo's earthtainers which are a wicking system or manual hydroponics. They work fabulously and although I also have a soil garden, I plan to keep the tainers going perpetually as well. I've seen nothing to indicate a build of any type exists and quite the opposite. Whenever I feed them anything, I see an immediate response, sometimes they seem to show improvement overnight. (I do use the soiless mix, but, did put in a strip of NPK dry fert back in early March, but I suspect it is spent at this point).

I've decided i will keep using TTF in each refill at a reduced strength. The plants realistically only have to make it another 3-4 weeks till harvest is complete. However, my hope is most if not all the plants will hang around in a non production state until fall, then start producing again. At some point, I'll probably cut them back to see if that encourages new growth, but I think that should be later in the summer.

The other possibility post harvest is to take some stems and root them and start new plants for the fall. My wife's grandmother wrote and article about the for Better Homes and Gardens back in 60s and swore by that method for a second crop in the fall.

Dewayne
I'm not knocking the tainer design, per se. In fact I bought 1 tote yesterday the same size 30 gls. But it's a "Sexy Hot Pink" color.

I'll show you how you only need 1 tote, instead of 2. All parts will be available in most cities from local buisnesses. And if there are any parts that I, use that have to be ordered, I'll be giving you the name of the company, with the name being a clickable link.

The cage system on top will be made with 3/4" PVC and 1/2" EMT conduit for rigidity, and will incorporate a Hybrid FL weave string system for the vines. And yes you will be able to take apart the PVC cage for winter storage.

The water reservoir, will have my Continous Watering system built into the design, just hook up to a 5 gl vlave control bucket system via a water hose, turn the spigot on no more than 1/2 turn and you will never have to worry about the water level the entire growing season. Thats 24/7/365 technology at work.

All the designs will be KISS designed, any 10 year old will be able to make one.

What do you think????

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #17
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Sounds interesting. I'd check it out.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #18
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,
Would love to know how well or not the reduce feed works.
Cutting back - I am sure I read about someone else here doing that with positive results.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote