Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Getting Started 2017

For some of us down south, pepper seed starting time is soon to be here (Around January 1) For others up north - you all probably have a couple months to collect seeds and get ready.

We got started much earlier by buying, trading, the MMMM, ones from Worth and Star, and seed saving over the past three years. I didn't realize just how many varieties I/we have collected.

Before asking my wife to help me narrow down the list of ones we want to grow - I removed the ornamental varieties that we grew last year. Some of those came from seeds purchased back in 2007. Then I removed the varieties that didn't germinate or grew/produced poorly, and the ones that are hotter than what we want to grow. Ornamentals will be grown in flower beds and they're not on this list.

We talked over what pepper types we want to grow, and she chose through a pile of seed packs. She helped narrow the varieties down ...to 24

This is a tentative list that most likely will change after our MMMM mailer gets here. And I just remembered there are some more to look through.

Bell
Enjoya
Keystone Giant
Margaret's Bell
Pinot Noir (2 seeds)

Paprika
NuMex Garnet
Leutschauer

Chili Relleno Types
Anaheim
New Mexico Improved
NuMex Heritage 6-4