Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 10, 2012   #1
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Default Powdered Milk for gardening

Hi, I was over at one of my relations house today and we started talking about gardens and what not and then she told me of a book that she had about home remedies for gardening, then she went on to tell me about when she was hit by a fungus on the leafs of her tomato plants last year and used a remedy out of this book. The remedy was to use powdered milk as a foliar spray. She went on to tell me that not only did it clear up the fungus it also helped her with blossom end rot.

So my question is, will powdered milk hurt "good" fungus and mycos. Has anyone read any "real" factual data about using powdered milk. I have been doing "some" research into this and find very little actual data.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #2
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

No factual evidence; did read something a few years ago about a lady in California who planted her tomato garden in the same place for 30 years and never had a disease problem. Her secret was side dressing every two weeks with powdered milk. Have never heard anything about using it as a foliar spray except for what you just said.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #3
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

I read lawn forums and they swear by corn meal and milk for fungus.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #4
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Yes I have been reading a lot of testimonials but no "hard" factual data to back any of it up, just a lot of hear say and promises.
Old June 10, 2012   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Here's some information that might help
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #6
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Milk (any) diluted in water at a ratio of 1 part Milk to 9 parts water sprayed onto plants will actually work as a cure for Powdery Mildew. It has to be done when it's sunny to work, as it is the sun that activates the Lactoferrin Proteins in the milk which work on the fungus.

You be the judge.

Last edited by mcsee; June 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Additional text
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #7
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Here's some information that might help
Interesting read, but I dug deeper into where this was coming from and I have to say some of Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D's conclusions of other horticultural subjects were not compelling which in turn makes me wonder about her conclusions about powdered milk.
Old June 11, 2012   #8
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Milk (any) diluted in water at a ratio of 1 part Milk to 9 parts water sprayed onto plants will actually work as a cure for Powdery Mildew. It has to be done when it's sunny to work, as it is the sun that activates the Lactoferrin Proteins in the milk which work on the fungus.

You be the judge.
What I am worried about is how does it react to mycos and other "good" micros that we are paying a lot of money for. Will I be killing the mycos and good micros by using powdered milk?
Old June 11, 2012   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
Interesting read, but I dug deeper into where this was coming from and I have to say some of Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D's conclusions of other horticultural subjects were not compelling which in turn makes me wonder about her conclusions about powdered milk.
She's an academic, she is only interested in studies and hard proof, therefore her conclusions are based on what has been proven and what hasn't been. I think milk, like any other home remedy or commercial fungicide is not going to be effective against all fungal pathogens or even the same fungal pathogen in every situation. There are no silver bullets unfortunately. I thought her conclusions were basically: since milk has been proven to be effective against some leaf viruses and some fungal pathogens, give it a try.
Old June 11, 2012   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What I am worried about is how does it react to mycos and other "good" micros that we are paying a lot of money for. Will I be killing the mycos and good micros by using powdered milk?
If you are worried about good bacteria, I wouldn't be concerned. If milk was anti-bacterial, then there wouldn't be things like yogurt and warm milk wouldn't sour.
I have no idea about anecdotal claims of the benefits of putting milk in the soil, but I suppose as far as the saprophytic bacteria and fungi in the soil are concerned, all those proteins and sugars in milk are probably good eats.
Mycorrhizae I doubt would be affected by milk, since milk contains phosphorous and other minerals, they might even extract it and uptake it to the plants.
I think the bottom line is there is no evidence that compounds in milk actually kill anything fungal, but it does seem to at least make some parasitic leaf fungi unable to infect and grow.
Old June 11, 2012   #11
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Yes her conclusion was based on the facts that she sourced. I think there should be a more in depth study done on powdered milk. I think there are to many un answered questions and not enough definitive facts.
Old June 11, 2012   #12
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

It's not only Powdered Milk that is used in this treatment, Whole Milk will work just the same. It is useless unless sprayed onto foliage so the sun activates the proteins in the milk. The soil isn't effected by the milk, just the Mildew on the foliage.
I must say that I've never heard of Linda Chalker-Scott, but I have heard of the milk treatment, it's been around for quite some time, well here in Australia it has.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #13
RayR
Tomatovillian™

mcsee, some people say skim milk works better, I don't know.
Lets have an in-depth study done with Whole Milk, Skim Milk, 2%, Buttermilk, and Raw Milk.
That takes lots of time and money, who's going to pay?
Old June 11, 2012   #14
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Oh oh oh I am getting closer to some answers.

http://www.cannabis.info/USA/library...or-your-ladies
"Mycorrhizae thrive on carbohydrates, which is part of what they receive in payment from the plant in exchange for their services helping the plant thrive. One way to boost beneficial microorganisms, including mycorrhizae, is to feed them with a carbohydrate additive.

Carbohydrates (saccharides) are molecules with specific combinations of carbon and water. A subset of carbohydrates are the sugars ending in '-ose'. For example, table sugar is sucrose (C12H22O11), milk sugar is lactose (also C12H22O11 , but the atoms are arranged differently), blood sugar is glucose (C6H12O6), and so on."
Old June 11, 2012   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh oh oh I am getting closer to some answers.

http://www.cannabis.info/USA/library...or-your-ladies
"Mycorrhizae thrive on carbohydrates, which is part of what they receive in payment from the plant in exchange for their services helping the plant thrive. One way to boost beneficial microorganisms, including mycorrhizae, is to feed them with a carbohydrate additive.

Carbohydrates (saccharides) are molecules with specific combinations of carbon and water. A subset of carbohydrates are the sugars ending in '-ose'. For example, table sugar is sucrose (C12H22O11), milk sugar is lactose (also C12H22O11 , but the atoms are arranged differently), blood sugar is glucose (C6H12O6), and so on."
Is that guy smoking too much of his crop? I've never heard of feeding Mycorrhizae carbs. See the last of the FAQ's on this page.