Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 5, 2013   #1
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

Default SIPS and landscape fabric ??

Does anyone use landscape fabric in their sips to prevent the roots from going down in the water reservoir? I did this year when I made my sips for my tomato plants but I am going to start some kale in sips for fall and wondering if I should do the landscape barrier? Is it needed?
Boarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I use the Landscape Fabric in all of my Self-Watering Containers, even my EarthBoxes. It does help minimize root growth down into the water reservoir - and I think the result is less watery tasting fruit.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #3
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo!!
Old July 8, 2013   #4
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Why would you want to prevent the roots from entering the reservoir? I'd always thought that it's a good idea for them to find it and the plant will draw up water as needed.
cythaenopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #5
tke357
Tomatovillian™

Hi Raybo,
I made two earthtrainers and used the 2 layers of fabric per the directions. However, I noticed at the bottom of one of the reserovirs I can see roots. Do you think i should stop watering via the reservoir and start watering from the top?
tke357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #6
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

I always water the sips from the top until the drain holes pour out water. I do it that way because I attached another pipe to the watering pipe for support. But since I water until they overflow. the reservoir fills up and I only water every three days.
Old July 25, 2013   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I don't use landscape fabric in my EB's or my 5 gallon SIP's, I have found lots of tiny fibrous roots along the bottom of the shelf when I pull it out, but I can see how the landscape cloth would help this.

Top watering isn't good unless you have mixed in a slow release fertilizers into the mix and not used an instant fertilizer for the strip.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #8
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

I also wonder if the extra access to water creating a watery tasting tomato is somewhat dependent upon the variety.

Is there any particular landscape cloth that people avoid or recommend? I've read in a few cases that they may be treated with undesirable chemicals or break down over time releasing polymer particles into the soil.
Old July 26, 2013   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
I also wonder if the extra access to water creating a watery tasting tomato is somewhat dependent upon the variety.

Is there any particular landscape cloth that people avoid or recommend? I've read in a few cases that they may be treated with undesirable chemicals or break down over time releasing polymer particles into the soil.
You just opened my eyes to landscape cloth in the containers. I don't want to be dealing with cloth that breaks down making a mess of the mix.

I use biodegradable cloth in the square foot garden which is more like a cloth than plastic. I don't remember the name of it but I liked that it was supposed to be all natural.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #10
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I built SWCs this year for the first time and am a believer. As Raybo suggests I use two layers of high quality landscape fabric. They are working great. As far as roots getting into the reservoir I won't know until I start clean up but I can imagine without the fabric they would easily get in there.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #11
tke357
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone,
In my case, i built two. In one i have Steak Sandwich and black krim, the other I have mortgage lifter and cherokee purple. I am only seeing roots in the second one. So I am worried about the taste of those tomatoes and am wondering if I should stop filling the reservoir and start top watering. I did add the ferterlizer strip as per Raybo's instructions.
tke357 is offline   Reply With Quote