Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 18, 2006   #1
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Default Does anyone use CHC's? (Coco products?)

Hello, I searched and found a few folks who use cocopeat for planting seeds, but does anyone use CHC (Coconut husk chips) in their containers?

I bought a bale last year for my container citrus and have enjoyed them immensely- along with a bit of cocopeat and compost or a bit of potting soil.

Ive still got over 1/2 bale of CHCs and was planning on trying my tomatoes in them this year- theyre water retentive, lightweight, and a bit acidic pH.

Im thinking about 4 parts CHC, 1 part potting soil, and 1 part compost that includes chicken litter.

Ill share any results if worth sharing!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2006   #2
honu
Tomatovillian™

Garnet, I did, but had horrible results, I'm not sure why, but I suspect there must be differing grades or types of coco chips, since I heard others have had excellent results.
I suspect my chips were too green, ie, not composted/aged, and sucked up all the nitrogen. They were a disaster when I tried sprouting or transplanting young seedlings. However, when used as mulch (but not mixed into the potting soil) for some of my more mature hardy plants, they were ok. I compared containers of strawberries and other plants mulched w/ coco chips with those mulched w/ compost, and the ones w/ compost were more vigorous growers.
They make good bedding for worm bins, though, as my worms seem to be happy.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2006   #3
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Honu-

I think I made a mistake when posting this- there are both coconut products, and cocoa (chocolate) products...
CHCs are spongy bits of the fiberous covering of coconuts that is basically litter in Sri Lanka, Ive heard of cocoa shells for mulch- id guess theyre thin flakes.

Take Care, and good luck! ill post my results this summer!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote