Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2018   #16
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

So interesting to see other people's experiences. We have had a very hot, basically dry summer, with lots of humidity. My two IS plants are pushing 7 feet and the RL is loaded with fruit - so many on a stem it almost looks like a cherry tomato plant. I have culled flowers off because there is no way the stems will hold up and we are running out of time in terms of becoming a decent size and maturing enough to pick.
All my black tomatoes are having a great year - and I agree, a lot of rain and they don't do as well. I have tried Spudakee and Spudatula - wasn't happy with either. Margaret Curtain I loved but decided not to grow it out this year. I'll try to take a photo of the plants themselves if I can do justice to the size of them!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #17
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Try Spudakee. It is the potato leaf version of Cherokee Purple and handles inclement weather better with less cracking and better production. For a hot dry summer nothing beats Indian Stripe PL but it isn't the best for rainly weather.

If you have had that much rain it wouldn't matter too much what black variety of tomato you were growing. They all do poorly in lots of rain and the worst two are Margaret Curtain and Black Krim in my experience. Probably the best ones for handling lots of rain are Gary O' Sena and Spudakee.

Bill

Thanks; I will ask for Spudakee seeds in the MMMM swap or in the "Seeds Wanted" thread, and I have Gary O'Sena already. (I had wanted to grow GOS this year, but ran out of room under my grow lights after 40 varieties.) Of the black varieties I've grown, Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim do well, but Paul Robeson is the most productive and the most flavorful. Margaret Curtain would probably disappoint if it acts similarly to ISPL and ISRL. Bummer.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Thanks; I will ask for Spudakee seeds in the MMMM swap or in the "Seeds Wanted" thread, and I have Gary O'Sena already. (I had wanted to grow GOS this year, but ran out of room under my grow lights after 40 varieties.) Of the black varieties I've grown, Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim do well, but Paul Robeson is the most productive and the most flavorful. Margaret Curtain would probably disappoint if it acts similarly to ISPL and ISRL. Bummer.
I had no splitting problems with MC. It's one of my grow every year ones. This year I am going to try Margaret Curtain Heart.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I had no splitting problems with MC. It's one of my grow every year ones. This year I am going to try Margaret Curtain Heart.
As is oft said,different results from different folks.

If we all agreed on everything here at Tville and elsewhere in our lives,of course there would be less discussion which often can lead to repetitive posts here at Tville and elsewhere which often can lead to very boring discussions.

Marsha,when you switch to the heart version of MC are you predicting any differences when compared?

This gets back to that other thread here where folks were supposed to compare two similar varieties,and yes, some compared RL vs PL versions of the same variety, but offhand,without checking,I can't remember if anyone compared the same variety, one heart,the other not a heart. Well,yes,it just occurred to me that has been done and now I'm thinking of Orange Minsk and its heart version, Black Krim and its heart version, Kellogg's Breakfast and its heart version and several more.

Carolyn
Old August 15, 2018   #20
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Here are some photos of IS PL & RL. Its a mess because I didn’t prune to one stem, but you can see how large the plant became and the size of the leaves are impressive. Also the two plants have been pumping out tomatoes like crazy

The first photo is the RL. The second one is the PL. I’ll be saving seeds for both, hopefully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90CF67E2-936B-420F-8CD8-585D962270CB.jpg (544.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 85DBAE83-033C-4101-ADF0-34DF39FE8B31.jpg (588.7 KB, 32 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote