Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 4, 2016   #1
Poconolg
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil Mixture

I live in NE PA. I have to grow in containers due to the rocky and clay soil. I use pots that are about 2 cu feet. What would be the best soil mixture to use? Also I have to have a 6' chainlink fence around the garden because of the deer. I have a roll of the type of stretch plastic used to wrap pallets in warehouses. Can I use this plastic to wrap my garden to make a greenhouse? The garden is only 10 x 10.
Poconolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

My container mix is very simple but it work for me. 80-90% compost (I use either mushroom or horse manure compost), the rest 10-15% rice hulls for drainage (you can use perlite and vermiculite instead), and some kind of all purpose slow release fertilizer. Also add some coconut coir to improve water retention if needed.

Once I transplant into the container, I mulch the surface.

The main thing with container mix is I make sure it have good enough drainage that there isn't an ammonia smell from anaerobic activity in the bottom of the container where it's most wet. But you don't want to use too much drainage material which will make you water everyday, the extra space in the mix also allow ants to nest in it.

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 6, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote