Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 6, 2017   #61
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I'm a beekeeper folks. Most beekeepers in the U.S. treat their bees with pesticides to kill varroa mites. These pesticides can show up as residues mostly in the wax but also in the honey. A few beekeepers such as myself went to the trouble to select and breed bees with genetic resistance to varroa so that we do not have to treat for mites. For this reason, I can legitimately state that my honey is produced by bees that have never been treated with miticides.

The devil is in the details. Even though I do not put pesticides in my hives, my bees forage on flowers up to roughly 2 miles from the hive. This includes large areas farmed for corn, soybeans, pastureland, hay fields, etc. Some of these areas are treated with chemicals such as neonicoteinoids, herbicides like roundup, antifungals, etc. I can't in good conscience advertise my honey as "organic" because the environment contains chemicals. This does not mean my honey has large amounts of chems. The amounts would be extremely small measured in parts per billion. According to govt standards, there is no problem eating food with such small amounts of contaminants. I generally agree that the amounts in question are so small they don't matter.

On the matter of goats, there are three common goats in literature.

Scape Goat - this is the goat that had sins heaped on his head and he was led into the wilderness to carry them away.

Judas Goat - This goat is staked out to attract feral goats so they can all be captured and disposed of. There has been a lot of work in Texas using Judas pigs with radio trackers to find and eliminate feral hogs.

Sacrificial Goat - This goat is separated out and fed to the lions so the lions will leave the rest of the goats alone. This is the Goat Worth should probably have mentioned instead of the scape goat.

There is one other Goat worth mentioning called an Old Goat. If we live long enough, most of us will be referred to as an "Old Goat" at some point. I won't apply the appellation to Worth, clearly he is a Spring Chicken.
There was also the Pontiac GTO with the big block high performance engine in it nicknamed the Goat.
Worth
This was back in the days when pollution was fun!!!!
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #62
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Worth just an FYI people can garden organically but not be nutcase about it. I don't apply chemicals to my garden but I do vaccinate myself and my pets as well as take antibiotics or other pharmaceuticals when necessary.

My honeybees get medicated during the spring and winter when they are NOT making honey for human consumption.

I do use non chemical controls whenever possible such as putting parts of the hives in the freezer for 4 days before storage to kill wax moth eggs instead of using chemical moth fumigants.

I can't keep all chemicals out of my food supply or my body but I avoid the ones that I reasonably can.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #63
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Worth just an FYI people can garden organically but not be nutcase about it. I don't apply chemicals to my garden but I do vaccinate myself and my pets as well as take antibiotics or other pharmaceuticals when necessary.

My honeybees get medicated during the spring and winter when they are NOT making honey for human consumption.

I do use non chemical controls whenever possible such as putting parts of the hives in the freezer for 4 days before storage to kill wax moth eggs instead of using chemical moth fumigants.

I can't keep all chemicals out of my food supply or my body but I avoid the ones that I reasonably can.
I dont hardly use anything but my neighbor does.
The bug man comes by once a month.
I can also buy store brand organic vinegar with the live mother for almost half the price as the Bragg stuff.

Worth
Old November 6, 2017   #64
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

This is the reason the Monsanto Goat is the focus of most of the attention concerning glyphosate.

But many other companies also sell products containing glyphosate. Why aren't they targeted in these lawsuits?

"This is an oversimplistic answer, but Monsanto invented/discovered it, they held the patent for many years, they are the EPA registrant for glyphosate, and they continue to dominate the market," the attorney said.

"Furthermore, we are not alleging that our clients got cancer from glyphosate alone. We are suing because our clients got cancer from Roundup. ... Roundup contains animal fats and other ingredients that increase the carcinogenicity of the glyphosate."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/health...ons/index.html

I think the best cane scenario for Monsanto and for all of us is that the glyphosate that is found in foods is insufficient to cause harm. In my opinion and many others including The World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer, mounting evidence of harm from direct prolonged exposure is becoming more and more probable.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #65
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

They're also suing Monsanto because they have very deep pockets.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #66
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
They're also suing Monsanto because they have very deep pockets.
They are suing Monsanto because they allege their clients got cancer from Roundup. Monsanto makes Roundup. The fact that they have deep pockets actually makes it more difficult to win a case like this.
Old November 6, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

McDonald's isn't any better.
The sued some people in Scotland named McDonald because that was the name of their sausage shop I think it was.
Worth
Old November 6, 2017   #68
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

After working 15 years in a law firm I can tell you they DO go after deep pockets. It does not usually matter at all if they "win" or not, the vast majority do not even get to trial and the goal is to settle for as much as possible. Bigger companies with deeper pockets often pay more to make cases go away that are not worth their time. It never pays to accept a case going after someone with no money to settle with. You loose all your costs of bringing the case because plaintiff lawyers only get paid if they get a settlement for their client. Otherwise they eat the costs. So no money in the pocket, no lawsuit.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #69
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
After working 15 years in a law firm I can tell you they DO go after deep pockets. It does not usually matter at all if they "win" or not, the vast majority do not even get to trial and the goal is to settle for as much as possible. Bigger companies with deeper pockets often pay more to make cases go away that are not worth their time. It never pays to accept a case going after someone with no money to settle with. You loose all your costs of bringing the case because plaintiff lawyers only get paid if they get a settlement for their client. Otherwise they eat the costs. So no money in the pocket, no lawsuit.
You are exactly right, if they think they will lose they will settle. That is what I hate about these class action lawsuits. The lawyers and not the plaintiffs make all the decisions. At least I think that is how it works.

My point and the point that the lawyers make was that Monsanto makes Roundup so you have to sue Monsanto, not Dow or anyone else who uses glyphosate. They all have deep pockets
Old November 6, 2017   #70
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

"You can't squeeze water from a stone" is a relevant expression for choosing whom to sue.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #71
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

OK I give in. The lawyers went after Monsanto because they have deep pockets.. Not worth arguing about.
Old November 6, 2017   #72
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I apologize, I'm not on any particular side in the Monsanto argument. I didn't mean it that way. That expression is about poor people escaping lawsuits, even when they might deserve one, simply because they have no money to take.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017   #73
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I apologize, I'm not on any particular side in the Monsanto argument. I didn't mean it that way. That expression is about poor people escaping lawsuits, even when they might deserve one, simply because they have no money to take.
If you are apologizing to me there is no need or reason to. The Lawyers are absolutely in it for the money.

Look at the the case of the Monsanto's disaster in Anniston Alabama. In the class action lawsuit the lawyers took a settlement. The 27 lawyers got 4.4 million apiece and the plaintiffs got an average of 7 thousand per person, the ones that were still alive. Obviously the plaintiffs were not very happy, even to the point of making death threats.

My earlier post is still true

They are suing Monsanto because they allege their clients got cancer from Roundup. Monsanto makes Roundup. The fact that they have deep pockets actually makes it more difficult to win a case like this.

You don't really win in a settlement because if Monsanto settles they are not admitting guilt. The lawyers absolutely win, the plaintiffs not so much.

But it really isn't worth discussing because it is taking this thread off topic and that is partly my fault.
Old November 7, 2017   #74
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sometimes, I wake up thinking I might have upset someone by what I wrote. If you think about it - you can't help but upset someone by the things you write. Those things come from thoughts, past experiences, numbers, opinions, facts, internet BS, etc. And we are all basing thoughts on things like this. How can you not upset someone else?

I'm writing this for many of my friends here. I have been reading, and I do care.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017   #75
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Comment on lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
If you are apologizing to me there is no need or reason to. The Lawyers are absolutely in it for the money.

Look at the the case of the Monsanto's disaster in Anniston Alabama. In the class action lawsuit the lawyers took a settlement. The 27 lawyers got 4.4 million apiece and the plaintiffs got an average of 7 thousand per person, the ones that were still alive. Obviously the plaintiffs were not very happy, even to the point of making death threats.

My earlier post is still true

You don't really win in a settlement because if Monsanto settles they are not admitting guilt. The lawyers absolutely win, the plaintiffs not so much.

But it really isn't worth discussing because it is taking this thread off topic and that is partly my fault.

Interjection of humor at this time.
My brother in law,on the non blood side(blessing?or...).
Gave me this advice:
Never ask a lawyer if you can ask him a couple of questions,he will say yes,what’s the next question and will charge you for both.
Lawyers are why we need lawyers.
True,most cases are settled in the elevator,sidebar,chambers,divorcee/divorces hotel rooms.
Count your fingers after shaking your counselors( a lawyers...lawyer) hand,foot whatever comes first.
Why do they say just like the doctors” come on over to my practice”haven’t they went to enough schools already,why practice on me.
For capital offenses you will have to hire a 4.0 graduate.
Ticket clinic,public defenders,the cool drug lawyers(pony tailed burnouts)require only 2.0 credentials.
Thought I would throw that in,makes sense to me.