Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #361
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to quickly update. Still growing the 21X - I don't know what F# I'm up to since I've been growing it for seasons now.

I have 3 plants, all grown in their own 5 gallon Root Pouch (upgraded from 2 gallon, 3 gallon, etc from years past). Terrible storm early last week followed by very cold weather for days (30s for lows). One of the plants always made it to the garage at night so looks great. Will start heavy pruning on the others tomorrow.

Tonight we should be in the 50s.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #362
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A quick update, I decided not to save any seed from the 19xF2 plants I grew out last year. Some very tasty cherries, but I'm looking for out of this world and maybe a color other than red. I'll grow another round of the 19xF2s this year.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #363
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
A quick update, I decided not to save any seed from the 19xF2 plants I grew out last year. Some very tasty cherries, but I'm looking for out of this world and maybe a color other than red. I'll grow another round of the 19xF2s this year.
If you'd like to try something other than the Ambrosia Orange cross, let me know. I have F2 seed from crosses with some interesting stripes that I didn't have available last year you could try if you want.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #364
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
If you'd like to try something other than the Ambrosia Orange cross, let me know. I have F2 seed from crosses with some interesting stripes that I didn't have available last year you could try if you want.
Thanks Dan! For now I'll stick with 19xF2. I've only grown out 7 plants for the course of 2 years and do think there is the possibility of getting something extraordinary or at least different colored than red. At the very least the tomatoes are numerous and delicious. I did save some seed of 19xF2 from my 2016/17 winter grow out--but didn't this past year because the results were rather similar.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #365
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the late report. I am just now finding my seeds.

One of the seed packs you sent me, Dan, was multi-flora. I have it labelled as #37. I believe the full name was 37x-F3-1. It made pink cherries that were delicious. I saved a lot of seed if you or anyone else want some.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #366
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dan, Just read this thread-what an odyssey! Fun to see all the varieties that have been produced so far.

Is it still possible to get some seeds to try for a micro multi flora? The other I think is interesting is moving forward with that dwarf multiflora "11X-F3-5 that showed real promise that Oakley referred to already.
Plant #1 or plant 2?
Or maybe there's something else you think should be persued?
Thanks!
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #367
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Dan, Just read this thread-what an odyssey! Fun to see all the varieties that have been produced so far.

Is it still possible to get some seeds to try for a micro multi flora? The other I think is interesting is moving forward with that dwarf multiflora "11X-F3-5 that showed real promise that Oakley referred to already.
Plant #1 or plant 2?
Or maybe there's something else you think should be persued?
Thanks!
Heide
It’s never too late. I’d be happy to send you some seed. There are a lot of options, depending on what you want to grow and how much time, room and patience you have. Send me a PM and give me an idea of where in the selection process you would like to start and how many different varieties you’d like to play with.

I can send you seed that is most likely ‘fixed’ for micro and you can look for something unique. I could even send you F2 seed and you can hunt for dwarf/micro/multiflora from scratch. That means starting LOTS of seed and eventually culling out 99% or more to find just what you want. (I got carried away and made far more crosses than I can follow up on.)

I have a few crosses with some very interesting dwarfs. The F2s will all be dwarf and smaller, so finding a multiflora dwarf would be relatively easy. One in four should be multiflora. You can start plenty a little earlier than normal and leave them in cups until they show blossoms. That way, if you want to grow multifloras, you won’t waste garden space growing non-multifloras. Finding micros is more difficult – micro multifloras are even more so.

Also, feel free to reach out to Oakley and ask her for seed from those she’s growing. Hopefully, someone will find and stabilize something worth naming…..

Let me know.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote