Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2018   #1
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default Early Tomato Varieties

(Updating as info warrents)


Im looking for varieties to extend my growing season---Early and later.

The variety needs to fit under a 4 ft hoop house and will get the benefit of a wall of water. I can start inside but will need to move outside where the sunlight will be better than any growlights. ( Tried to grow inside last winter, in a south window (Low E type) with new growlight; but plants grew tooooo large, and tomatos slow to show up--5 months)

Looking at early varieties offered by Tomatogrowers.com, I see lots of early ripening dates, under 70 days BUT not all are listed as cold hardy......

And the size of the plants are all over the place.

What is the best one or two to trial? Polar Baby seems like a good choice....

If anyone has experience with any of these, I need HELP !!!!

POLAR BABY
Polar Baby #2536 (30 seeds) Very small plants bear large harvests of 2-inch red salad tomatoes. These tomatoes are sweet and very well flavored, especially for a variety that produces so early. This is a cold weather tomato that was developed in Alaska. Determinate. 60 days.

60 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces high yields of deep red tomatoes. It has the rich tomato flavor. Perfect for salads, slicing, and sandwiches. A variety developed in Alaska for cold weather regions. Cold tolerant. Excellent choice for home gardens. Determinate. ht 48-60 (reimer seed)


MATINA
Matina #5606 (30 seeds) This very early variety bears loads of 2 to 4 oz. red fruit with terrific flavor normally found only in a huge beefsteak. The fact that its fruit is ripe up to a full month earlier than many beefsteak varieties makes Matina really special. Potato-leaved plants put on large clusters of abundant tomatoes, and even though they start early, continue to bear throughout a long season. Heirloom from Germany. Indeterminate. 58 days.


58 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces good yields of 2 to 4 oz red tomatoes. The taste is so good and it normally wouldn't be found in huge beefsteak varieties. Perfect for canning, salads, salsa, slicing, sandwiches, and sauce. The fact is that it ripens up to a full month earlier than many beefsteak varieties. It is a very early producing variety that bears continuously throughout the season. It does well in cool summer nights regions like the Pacific Northwest. Plant has good foliage protecting tomatoes from sun scald. Grows in clusters. A potato leaf variety. Suitable for hydroponics gardening. Excellent choice for home gardens. A heirloom variety from Germany. Indeterminate.48-72 in (reimer seed)



MANITOBA
Manitoba #2011 (30 seeds) 6-1/2 oz. brick-red tomatoes are smooth and slightly flattened in shape. Extremely productive and very early variety developed in Manitoba, Canada. Determinate. 60 days.

58 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces high yields of 6 oz bright red tomatoes. They are meaty with a tangy flavor. Perfect for sandwiches, salads, slicing, and canning. Great for those with short growing seasons! Suitable for Southern Canadian regions and Northern US regions of of Montana, Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and New England states. Suitable for container gardening or small gardens where space is very limited! Excellent choice for home gardens. A variety developed by the Experimental Farm in Morden, Manatoba, Canada. United States Department of Agriculture, PI 279815. Disease Resistant: V, F. Determinate. 48-60 (reimer seeds)



SILETZ
Siletz #2831 (30 seeds) Deep red, full-flavored slicing tomatoes are 10 to 12 ozs. and very nice for an early variety. Developed by Dr. James Baggett of Oregon State University, these plants yield well even in cool weather. Good acid taste and excellent interior fruit quality in an early tomato. Best suited to cool or temperate climates, Siletz may have problems with abnormal fruit shape and catfacing in warmer southern areas. Determinate. 52 days.

52 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces high yields of 10 to 12 oz deep red tomatoes. They are sweet and flavorful. Perfect for salads, sandwiches, and canning. Plants will yield well even in cool weather. Cold tolerant. It is parthenocarpic, meaning it can set tomatoes without pollination. Excellent choice for home gardens. A variety developed in 1994 by Dr. James Baggett of Oregon State University, Oregon, USA. Disease Resistant: V, F. Determinate. Certified Organic. 36-48 in (reimer seeds)

65d, up to 10 oz, parthenocarpic (adaptive seed)



STUPICE
Stupice #4782 (30 seeds) From Czechoslovakia, this is an extremely early cold-tolerant tomato that bears an abundance of 2 ounce flavorful and sweet tomatoes. This variety has become a garden favorite for its earliness, productivity, and truly wonderful taste. Indeterminate. 52 days.

55 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces high yields of 2 to 4 oz red tomatoes. One of the best tasting early tomatoes. Perfect for salads and slicing. Suitable for Northern regions. Cold tolerant. A potato leaf variety. Excellent choice for home gardens. A heirloom variety from Czech Republic. United States Department of Agriculture, PI 250436. Indeterminate. 48-60 in ( reimer seeds)


Sub arctic plenty
-(another seed source)Days To Maturity: 50 Determinate. Very tolerant to colder climates, red and round fruits. Perfect to grow in containers, known as one of the earliest tomatoes to fruit!


FIREWORKS
60 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces high yields of 8 to 10 oz bright red tomatoes. They are very sweet, meaty, and flavorful. It is one of the largest and earliest red slicing tomatoes available on the market. Perfect for sandwiches, salads, and slicing. Excellent choice for home gardens. Indeterminate.(reimer seed)

FIREWORKS 55-60 days. Det.
One of the largest extra early tomatoes. Big, red, juicy 3-6 oz globes on short manageable bushes. Good as an early production tomato due to its high percentage of perfect marketable fruit. Similar to Starfire (listed in ‘Main Season Red Tomato’) but earlier and a little smaller. Bred by Tim Peters of Peters Seed and Research in Riddle, Oregon. (adaptive seed)



FIREWORKS
Fireworks #6002 (30 seeds) What makes this variety really special is that it is one of the largest, earliest red slicing tomatoes available, and it has excellent flavor. This combination of size, earliness, and good taste is truly uncommon, but Fireworks is an exceptional variety. Its bright red fruit are 6 to 8 ozs., round with a pointed tip, and borne quite heavily on vigorous plants. Indeterminate. 60 days.




GRUSHOVKA

Grushovka #4717 (30 seeds) Siberian variety of delicious, pink, egg-shaped fruit. Tomatoes are about 3 inches long with thin skin and are excellent for canning. Plants are small, only about 2-1/2 feet tall, but produce abundantly. Determinate. 65 days.

65 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Plant produces high yields of 3" long pink egg shaped tomatoes. They are very delicious. Perfect for canning and gourmet dishes. Suitable for container gardening. Excellent choice for home gardens. A variety from Siberia, Russia. United States Department of Agriculture, G 33017. Determinate. 24-36 in (reima seeds)


GLACIER

Glacier #4518 (30 seeds) While this variety may not be able to withstand a glacier, it does set fruit well even in cold weather. In fact, it becomes loaded early in the season with very flavorful, 2 to 3 oz. red tomatoes. The taste is sweet yet rich, a combination found more commonly in larger and later-maturing tomatoes. Potato-leaved foliage helps support the large harvest of these very tasty tomatoes. Determinate. 58 days.

55 days. Solanum lycopersicum. Open Pollinated. Early maturing plant produces heavy yields of 2 to 3 oz red tomatoes. They are very sweet, juicy, and flavorful. Perfect for salads and snacks. Great tomato for short growing season, cool nights or cooler areas as it will set tomatoes at cooler temperatures It continues to bear the entire season. Cold tolerant. A potato leaf variety. Suitable for container gardening. Excellent choice for home gardens. A variety from Sweden. Determinate. 36-48 in (reimer seeds)

BLACK PLUM (double helix)
Super productive elongated dark brown plums with deep green shoulders. The taste is outstanding and the production on these 1 to 2 ounce dark tomatoes is just amazing. They will start early in the midseason and keep going until frost. They are super delicious in salads and are out of this world when dried. Black Plum is a great tomato.

Black/Purple Tomatoes, Plum/Paste Tomatoes, Mid-Season Tomatoes, Regular Leaf, Indeterminate


GOLD NUGGET-early

Last edited by Black Krim; January 11, 2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: more info
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,142
Default

I can speak for Matina. It's great. Previous praise by me:

"This small plant chugged along churning out very small (1-1.5") tasty tomatoes until frost. 77 fruits from this plant.
Notes: This plant was beside and in front of plants which died of wilt. Matina didn't even blink. Small & would do well in containers. Give it more water & I bet it's a winner."

Also we discovered the site where this plant was had only about 6" of soil over a foundation of solid rock. And it was dry farmed. Taste was good, too, liked by all of us. It produced until frost. Highly recommended. My source was Tomato Grower's Supply.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Im looking for varieties to extend my growing season---Early and later.

The variety needs to fit under a 4 ft hoop house and will get the benefit of a wall of water. I can start inside but will need to move outside where the sunlight will be better than any growlights. ( Tried to grow inside last winter, in a south window (Low E type) with new growlight; but plants grew tooooo large, and tomatos slow to show up--5 months)

Looking at early varieties offered by Tomatogrowers.com, I see lots of early ripening dates, under 70 days BUT not all are listed as cold hardy......

And the size of the plants are all over the place.

What is the best one or two to trial? Polar Baby seems like a good choice....

If anyone has experience with any of these, I need HELP??

POLAR BABY
Polar Baby #2536 (30 seeds) Very small plants bear large harvests of 2-inch red salad tomatoes. These tomatoes are sweet and very well flavored, especially for a variety that produces so early. This is a cold weather tomato that was developed in Alaska. Determinate. 60 days.



MATINA
Matina #5606 (30 seeds) This very early variety bears loads of 2 to 4 oz. red fruit with terrific flavor normally found only in a huge beefsteak. The fact that its fruit is ripe up to a full month earlier than many beefsteak varieties makes Matina really special. Potato-leaved plants put on large clusters of abundant tomatoes, and even though they start early, continue to bear throughout a long season. Heirloom from Germany. Indeterminate. 58 days.



MANITOBA
Manitoba #2011 (30 seeds) 6-1/2 oz. brick-red tomatoes are smooth and slightly flattened in shape. Extremely productive and very early variety developed in Manitoba, Canada. Determinate. 60 days.



SILETZ
Siletz #2831 (30 seeds) Deep red, full-flavored slicing tomatoes are 10 to 12 ozs. and very nice for an early variety. Developed by Dr. James Baggett of Oregon State University, these plants yield well even in cool weather. Good acid taste and excellent interior fruit quality in an early tomato. Best suited to cool or temperate climates, Siletz may have problems with abnormal fruit shape and catfacing in warmer southern areas. Determinate. 52 days.



STUPICE
Stupice #4782 (30 seeds) From Czechoslovakia, this is an extremely early cold-tolerant tomato that bears an abundance of 2 ounce flavorful and sweet tomatoes. This variety has become a garden favorite for its earliness, productivity, and truly wonderful taste. Indeterminate. 52 days.


Sub arctic plenty-(another seed source)Days To Maturity: 50 Determinate. Very tolerant to colder climates, red and round fruits. Perfect to grow in containers, known as one of the earliest tomatoes to fruit!

I have grown all that you list,some several times.

I live just 3 miles from the VT border, but it makes a big difference to me as to exactly where you are in NE.

So please share that with me, or at least give a general location.

Thanks,

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #4
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™
 
HudsonValley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hudson Valley, NY, Zone 6a
Posts: 529
Default

I'll be growing Stupice in 2018, along with Glacier and New Yorker. Glacier is reportedly about 3' tall; New Yorker is supposed to be 30-48". Both are reported to do well in cooler climates.

I did not like Sub-Arctic Plenty when I grew it -- it was fairly sour. Siberian had better flavor, but wasn't as productive for me. Note that there is also a variety called Siberia. Good luck!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #5
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I can speak for Matina. It's great. Previous praise by me:

"This small plant chugged along churning out very small (1-1.5") tasty tomatoes until frost. 77 fruits from this plant.
Notes: This plant was beside and in front of plants which died of wilt. Matina didn't even blink. Small & would do well in containers. Give it more water & I bet it's a winner."

Also we discovered the site where this plant was had only about 6" of soil over a foundation of solid rock. And it was dry farmed. Taste was good, too, liked by all of us. It produced until frost. Highly recommended. My source was Tomato Grower's Supply.

Nan
Nice details , Nan. A variety worth growing at any time.

Can you quantify "small"?
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #6
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I have grown all that you list,some several times.

I live just 3 miles from the VT border, but it makes a big difference to me as to exactly where you are in NE.

So please share that with me, or at least give a general location.

Thanks,

Carolyn

BLackstone Valley, a few miles north of both RI and CT, in MA. Land is on North slope leading to a river. Lots of big oaks and birch to slow the winds. The springs can be long and wet and cold, or can be dryer than normal. The garden is in a minny valley, stays moist but not wet for a long time. TMI?

Eager to hear your thoughts!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #7
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I'll be growing Stupice in 2018, along with Glacier and New Yorker. Glacier is reportedly about 3' tall; New Yorker is supposed to be 30-48". Both are reported to do well in cooler climates.

I did not like Sub-Arctic Plenty when I grew it -- it was fairly sour. Siberian had better flavor, but wasn't as productive for me. Note that there is also a variety called Siberia. Good luck!
Good to know about the Sub Arctic Plenty: Sour tomatoes are good with kale, just skip the lemon juice.

Glacier at 3 feet would work, New Yorker might be a bit too tall.

Thanks for the good details!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2018   #8
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Looking at the list again on tomato growers, I see NEW BIG DWARF. The two foot size and determinate looks promising. But is it sufficiently cold hardy???
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™
 
MrBig46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 1,817
Default

Stupice and Matina are similar to growth and taste. They are indeterminate tomatoes. I think they are not particularly cold-resistant. Varieties bred in Russia Sarayevem are mostly cold-resistant and determinant (bush).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #10
zipcode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Romania/Germany , z 4-6
Posts: 1,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Looking at the list again on tomato growers, I see NEW BIG DWARF. The two foot size and determinate looks promising. But is it sufficiently cold hardy???
There are not many varieties I would call cold hardy. I expect them to grow well in colder soil in the spring, etc. Only 2 tomatoes from what I tried qualify: Black Plum (even at seedling stage they don't get purple when transplanted in cold soil like everything else) and Legend (legend is not terribly early or good tasting though). Considering Siletz is bred by the same breeder as Legend, there's a very good chance that one actually will be. Stupice might be reasonably more tolerant than others but not much, and it is indeed the kind of early for larger than cherry. You can give also Gold Nugget a go, it is a small cherry, but you'll be surprised how many of them you will eat before other things are ripe.

In my experiences with Matina vs Stupice: they are clearly different, Matina has no green shoulders on the fruit at unripe stage (making the unripe fruit look markedly different), also the fruit is more regular in shape and in neat fishbone order. Stupice has irregular shapes (even some small megablooms) and flowers grow quite disorderly and sometimes many in a cluster.
Also matina has long internodes, which makes it a plant that easily gets tall, which makes the comment about small plant odd to me (the leaves are certainly not as big as the potato leaf beafsteaks, so it takes less space but it is not short).
My guess is there are various 'matinas' circulating around (and I'm not sure I know which is the right one, obviously I'm inclined to think mine is).

Last edited by zipcode; January 10, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 3,006
Default

They have a good selection here

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/seeds/...ly-season-red/
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,142
Default

BK, my Matina was about 3'-4' tall. Mine was growing in not much soil.

Nan

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; January 10, 2018 at 09:32 AM.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #13
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Stupice and Matina are similar to growth and taste. They are indeterminate tomatoes. I think they are not particularly cold-resistant. Varieties bred in Russia Sarayevem are mostly cold-resistant and determinant (bush).
Vladimír
Glad to hear your opinions Vladimir. I read your experiment on hardiness. Will need to find a source for Sarayevem. THANK YOU.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #14
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
There are not many varieties I would call cold hardy. I expect them to grow well in colder soil in the spring, etc. Only 2 tomatoes from what I tried qualify: Black Plum (even at seedling stage they don't get purple when transplanted in cold soil like everything else) and Legend (legend is not terribly early or good tasting though). Considering Siletz is bred by the same breeder as Legend, there's a very good chance that one actually will be. Stupice might be reasonably more tolerant than others but not much, and it is indeed the kind of early for larger than cherry. You can give also Gold Nugget a go, it is a small cherry, but you'll be surprised how many of them you will eat before other things are ripe.

In my experiences with Matina vs Stupice: they are clearly different, Matina has no green shoulders on the fruit at unripe stage (making the unripe fruit look markedly different), also the fruit is more regular in shape and in neat fishbone order. Stupice has irregular shapes (even some small megablooms) and flowers grow quite disorderly and sometimes many in a cluster.
Also matina has long internodes, which makes it a plant that easily gets tall, which makes the comment about small plant odd to me (the leaves are certainly not as big as the potato leaf beafsteaks, so it takes less space but it is not short).
My guess is there are various 'matinas' circulating around (and I'm not sure I know which is the right one, obviously I'm inclined to think mine is).
Im fine with a cherry or other small tomato for fruit size. Fitting the plant inside a small 4 ft tunnel, with sides much shorter than 4.

I see putting plant into a black pot would be helpful to raise the temp of the soil.

Flavor--while a great tasting tomato is my hearts desire, I do realize that something must give when another characteristic is more necessary, cold tolerant. Currently this tunnel cannot be heated; hoping for a larger greenhouse next year with a small greenhouse with in to hold a couple tomato plants...but that is NEXT year.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™
 
KarenO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 4,595
Default

If you don’t mind a tart tomato, silvery fir tree is very early and also attractive
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★