Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 11, 2012   #16
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

While I have seeds for Better Bush, I have yet to grow them, so I can't speak as to flavor or production..

What I CAN say, however, is that I have grown another bush type that should compare in terms of production and growth habit, but actually tastes quite good. This variety is Bush Goliath.

I've grown this a few times, and it has tasty fruit that's a good size and shape. Productive too. And then of course, it's that 'tree-type' with the strong central stem.

That said, I'll second what was said about trying some of the dwarf varieties that have been developed recently, such as Rosella Purple, Dwarf Wild Fred, etc..
Old January 11, 2012   #17
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

funny you mentioned the bush goliath cause I just ordered
Bush Goliath
Goliath
Heinz
Cambells

I checked out the dwarf info web page too to read more about them.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2012   #18
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynPhillips View Post
funny you mentioned the bush goliath cause I just ordered
Bush Goliath
Goliath
Heinz
Cambells
I grew Campbells and Heinz last year and I was really happy with them. I thought they produced very well. Definitely going to be in my garden again this Summer.

I've been eyeballing that Bush Goliath myself.
Old January 11, 2012   #19
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

I find the Campbells 1327 will ripen about a week before the Heinz 1439.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2012   #20
ZachAttacksPHX
Tomatovillian™

I actually didn't really notice the difference until I joined this forum. Since then I have participated in a few seed offers and met a couple of nice people that have offered to send me seeds other than what HD carries. I currently have nothing but Hybrids producing fruit right now and few heirloom seeds that have just been planted. I still yet to eat a tomato right off the plant, looking forward to it. My Bush Goliath does dwarf the other plants as far as stem and even the strength in the leaves. A very stout plant so far even though I split it into two to form a single stem up the string and planted the other half in the dirt.
ZachAttacksPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2012   #21
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Three additional OP indeterminates you might want to consider are Break O Day, Druzba and Box Car Willie. All three are always described as being very productive, and I believe their fruit is quite uniform for OPs.

I personally haven't grown them (the above is based on what I have heard), but maybe someone will come along who has and can comment whether or not they would fit your needs.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote