Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 15, 2012   #1
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Default Fava Bean pricing

Does anyone sell fava beans for market? How do you price them? Tomorrow is the first time I will sell them, and I would appreciate any input provided. Thanks!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I saw some at the Region market in Syracuse, NY last Thursday. I didn't pay much attention they where either $2 or 3$. I want to say the beans were in a quart berry basket, but my memory is hazy. I remeber thinking they were expensive and they looked too old, but I've never eaten or grown them. I'm sorry I can't be mor ehelp, but I just didn't pay attention to them, I was busy looking at the price of plants.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have shopped around on line and found they are on average $2.00 a pound for dried beans.
Bobs RED MILL, they are around $6 to $8 for a 20 oz bag.
At my store in town they are around $1.79 a bag.

I would like to add that they are not a bean for all people, I tried them once and never again.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012   #4
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I'll try to ask Anna at the market tomorrow. They're sold in the pods, and still very dear. By the time you get through shucking them, they're downright too pricey for me to buy. I do plan on growing some soon, though.
Sorry I can't help in time for you.
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2012   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I paid 3 a lb. recently here. The first go around were very tasty and delicious. The second time I went back about 2 weeks later, they had a bitter taste I didn't like. No idea why, I thought they were the same exact beans, but maybe not.