Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 29, 2015   #16
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh Worth, what a fierce subject. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas my Mother and my Grandmother (Dad's Mom) would argue over how to make gravy. One would use flour to thicken the gravy the other used cornstarch which made the gravy smoother. The fights were endless and annoying. Finally I put a stop to it and said that I would be in charge of the gravy and both of them were to stay out of the kitchen.
After my Grandmother died I continued to make the gravy. Suddenly my Mother's recipe changed and she started to argue with me every time that I made it. She wanted me to use Wondra Flour and the packaged stuff. Finally I had to remind her that the whole reason that I was making the gravy was because she insisted upon arguing with Grandma and that I was not going to allow her to continue her tradition. After all, it was she who had taught me how to make gravy and so she was fighting about her own recipe.
I use the pan drippings from a roasted bird. Remove most of the oil. Add water from boiling giblets and bring to a boil. If using flour, I make a rough and add it to the pan along with some milk. If using cornstarch I add it to milk and slowly add it to the boiling pan while stirring. The bottom of the pan must be scrapped so that all of the dark drippings are incorporated into the gravy. That is the part that adds the most flavor and color to the mix. I season it just the way that Worth does. I do not find much difference between using flour or cornstarch and have even been known to use both when I felt that I was being 'watched'. I also like to use the water that I have boiled the giblets in with garlic and bay leaf. It too adds more flavor. You may use the giblets or not in your gravy. I had to make some plain and some giblet to please everyone.