Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 21, 2006   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Hey folks, we're among tomato royalty - congrats Patrina!

To have one's tommys featured on a TV show is something else, and quite well deserved in this case.

Congratulations!

http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/l...420332.html?12
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for calling that to our attention Suze. I used to read the GW Cornucopia Forum so I knew what our Aussie friends were really up to, but then kinda let it lapse.

Patrina, I'll bet you never thought when you started growing all your heirloom tomatoes that you'd make so many good friends, but now you're finding out that when you're well known for your tomato growing that folks will seek you out.

So well done my friend, and keep the tomato fires, so to speak, burning brightly downunder.

I know Grub is a writer and I'm confident that he too will go from knowing zero about heirlooms, and I have the saved e-mails form a couple of years ago to prove that, , to some degree of notoriety as well, so onward all of you go.

As an aside, you know why I haven't gotten involved with the dwarf project b'c I can't promise to be able to grow out anything, but I really have to hand it to you to get so many crosses to work.

On the phone the other night Craig said he would be sure to send me some F2's in the event that next summer I might be able to grow some in pots out back, read, have someone grow them for me.

So in summary, good on ya, as you folks say.
Old February 21, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Congrats to PP

Congrats PP. You sure have the knack.

Aunty C,
I still have no idea what I am doing. I'm just lucky and grateful to have the right genes in my seeds.

Thanks, Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #4
bully
Tomatovillian™

Nice job Patrina!!
You go girl !!..that's a famous slang expression we have here in the States..It doesn't mean to actually go as in leave the room but means to keep doing what you're doing....I made it up actually, I was partaying with Oprah and she was hitting the buffet pretty hard and I was like "you go girl" I was afraid there wouldn't be any left before I got there. Next thing I know all her friends and Steadman started chanting "you go girl" ..it just took off from there...
true story..

I 'got some love' for Grub too as long as were handing it out (made that up too)

Bully, representing
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks Bully

Thanks Bully,

I'm going to tell my mum. If I can find her. Last I knew she was trekking through Africa. True!

Now to lunch. Rats! Naughty PA in office put tomatoes in the fridge overnight. And how many times have I told her! Sheesh.
Old February 21, 2006   #6
bully
Tomatovillian™

You can't go easy on them PA's ..Dawg..you know that.

You have to blame yourself on this one. Tom's in the fridge once shame on you..twice and ..have you met the new PA?
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #7
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Well, actually...

Not a bad idea...

Maybe Patrina would be interested in some more work. As this thread attests she is a real tomato aesthete, with her handiwork appearing on TV and popular websites
Old February 23, 2006   #8
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Thanks Suze, Carolyn, Bully, Grub! Apparently the ABC contact found out my name from our president of the local seed savers group here in Adelaide. I offered seeds from my last season and sent her a selection.

I'll probably supply the chef from "The Cook and the Chef" with some chillies, if they ripen in time for when they want to make chillies a focus of the show. They asked me if I knew anyone who was into chillies Regrettably mine are very late (and very few varieties) this year due to poor germination. I told them they might find some chilli growers at Willunga markets, and when they called they were told that there was a chilli festival at the markets on the next Saturday! So I know they went to do some filming that weekend.

The chilli plants will be all that's left out in the garden beds (in front of the house) soon - the tommies are dying off fast now! My neighbour's visitors asked if Italians were living here when they saw tomatoes growing in the front garden!!

Patrina
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #9
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
On the phone the other night Craig said he would be sure to send me some F2's in the event that next summer I might be able to grow some in pots out back, read, have someone grow them for me.

So in summary, good on ya, as you folks say.
Thanks Carolyn! I had to chuckle at the thought of you saying 'good on ya' It's often even written as one word, hehe

That would be great if you have some F2s growing in pots - the more F2s trialed the more chance of finding what we want. I'm hoping that the Budai crosses will be as prolific as their mother, and also as disease resistant! Budai has fared better than both New Big Dwarf and Golden Dwarf Champion in everything except fruit size, which was small red, although taste was fine.

Patrina
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #10
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Lol

Lol. Italians? Speaking of which, wonder how Finbar is doing in Italy? Maybe he needs a heads-up about this great site? Hmm.