Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 11, 2016   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem with very compact soil

So a friend has a very compact soil. An I do mean compact. But it's not what I would call clay, its color is kinda dark grey with pieces of black in it.
You know those black muds that you can find near waters, really 'greasy' and with a sulfury smell? This looks like that stuff but hardened (not all as black). And it has the same smell when dug. It's so ridiculously compact that without serious work, money and time I don't think it could be mixed with compost or something to make it normal (so pretty much out of the question).
So my question is if it is any good for growing stuff, and what would be most suitable? Besides the obvious fact that it is very compact, is it any good nutrient wise? Shouldn't the black stuff be organic matter?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I think that those slippery muds that you describe are actually that way because they contain lots of really tiny particles of clay that slide over each other.

That type of soil also excludes oxygen so it may be very difficult to get anything to grow in it. Lots of soil amendment with organic material to fluff it up is the only answer that I know of.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

how far were you able to dig down?

sometimes when you punch through the top 6", another soil substructure lies beneath. I've got rock hard clay that you cannot drive a nail through once it firms up, however, during rainy stretches it gets slick as owl shat. water stands on top and looks like topography of state of Minnesota (land of lakes).

I have to go raised beds.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Isn't that what Ohio is made of?
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I haven't dug all that much, but I guess 6 inches I did dig and it was the same. It has the problem of some smaller rocks mixed in, which makes digging a real pleasure. The top soil is fairly normal, brown soil, seemed ok at first, but it was only a layer of a few centimeters.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #6
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I agree with My Foot Smells. Sounds like building raised beds would be the best for your vegetables. You may have to build really deep ones.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Isn't that what Ohio is made of?
Some parts of Ohio have clay,others have rich farmland soil.Depends on your location.You see many corn,wheat and soybean fields across Ohio.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #8
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
:

Some parts of Ohio have clay,others have rich farmland soil.Depends on your location.You see many corn,wheat and soybean fields across Ohio.
Lots of good ground in... Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio.
Sorry when I see Cuyahoga Falls I hear the Pretenders...
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Lots of good ground in... Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio.
Sorry when I see Cuyahoga Falls I hear the Pretenders...
Chrissie Hyne sorry if the spelling is wrong went to Firestone High School in Akron about 5 miles from here.I went to Akron North.We're about the same age.I remember her but was never a big fan.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote