Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 24, 2010   #1
Melissa569
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie-- How To Preserve With Jars?

I've never preserved my own tomatoes before... But I would like to start! It would be nice if I could hold on to that homegrown flavor all year, and save on store purchases. I grow so many tomato plants every year, and I eat tomatoes every day. But usually I just give away all my extras to neighbors and friends.

Now I'm thinking "what if I learned to preserve the extras?". I've heard of some people jarring their own sauces and whole tomatoes. But does air get the jar? how do you keep it fresh? Do you buy something to suck the air out as you seal it? How is that done?

M
Melissa569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2010   #2
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Here's a great place t start:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/

Whatever you do when canning...FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! Other than that, it's not too difficult. I can a lot of tomatoes, sauce, and salsa, but also freeze a lot of tomatoes whole. I just core them and put them in freezer bags...they peel easily when thawed and go great in stews and soups in the winter...very simple.
Old April 26, 2010   #3
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

My advice -- purchase a Ball Blue Book--it's about $6, you can get it wherever canning supplies are sold. It's nice to have in the kitchen with you while you are working and has all the basic information you will need right at your fingertips.

Canning is NOT like cooking, it is more like chemistry. You should not think, "oh, I don't have that ingredient, I'll just add a pinch of this ingredient instead" or "I'll just let this simmer a little longer while I go make a phone call."

You really do need do do exactly what the directions say. (it's more like BAKING in that way. If you are a good baker, you will adapt very easily)
kterlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #4
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

Melissa, to answer your direct question, there is a specific amount of air that is intentionally in the jar, but it has been sterilized during the canning process. This is all explained in the Ball Blue Book....you're asking good questions!
kterlep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2010   #5
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link huntoften.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote