Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 22, 2016   #1
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Prices

Just wanted to start this to update previous surveys here on what you are charging in 2016.

I really am interested in wholesale pricing to restaurants, but I'm sure others would like to know what people are going to charge at Farmer's Markets or Stores.

I know I can get $2/lb for heirlooms at restaurants here, but feel I should be closer to $3-4.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I charge 3$ lb at market for all tomatoes.

Plants I sell 3$ each or 2 for $5 or 5 for $10

I sell to the mobile market food truck at about a dollar per pound less than to customers, sometimes they offer more.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #3
reddeheddefarm
Tomatovillian™

Our pricing is across the board. Tomatoes are $4.00/lb : Cukes $2-$6 a lb depending on type: Beans $3-$4 /lb: radishes .40-1.00/ea: peppers $4/lb: Basil $3/oz : peas $4-$5/lb : Melons $4 and up : lettuce $3.00 /8oz (live)

What we offer is not pedestrian produce which reflects in the price. We also are delivering which the produce companies have a separate charge for. Deliveries can be 3 times a week so they don't need to eat up valuable space and because we measure our freshness in hours at the time of delivery they are getting a superior product. This isn't a list of everything we offer or all of our pricing/marketing strategy but it should give you an idea.
reddeheddefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #4
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Looks like I should be at least 3/lb for heirlooms. It would be to higher end restaurants with affluent clientele on vacation at the beach...
I just can't wrap my head around asking $4 but based on your prices in Ohio I gotta think chefs would pay 4 if the varieties are tasty and visually beautiful.
I agree marketing and quality would drive these features.
Old February 23, 2016   #5
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

And thanks you guys for sharing numbers. I know that is somewhat sensitive info, and I appreciate your willingness to divulge that.
Old February 23, 2016   #6
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

at the local farmers market in my area, nothing is worth anything.
Tomatoes, if I price them at anything higher than $1 a pound, I take them all back home.
I started last year at $1.50 a pound, but two other vendors get there every week, walk around checking everyone elses prices, then mark their stuff lower. They bottom out at $1 per pound, so every other vendor has to follow suit or sell nothing.
I do get $2 for cherry tomatoes.
I had always charged $1.50 pound for green beans. last year the weather was horrible and no one's beans produced very well. I was just about to raise my prices to $2 pound due to lack of availability and selling out within half hour every week, but then comes Ron, he grew a ton of them and set his price at $1 per pound. So I left mine at $1.50 and still sold out quickly every week.
Bell peppers, I get 2 for $1 or 3 for $1 depending on the size and quality of the pepper.
most other peppers (mini sweets, banana, jalepeno, etc) I get 10 for $1
zucchini 50 cents to $1 each
cucumbers 3 for $1 for straight 8s, 10 for $1 picklers
sweet corn, when we have it is $4 dozen
pumpkins vary depending on size, variety, and quality, but the small Baby Boo and Jack Be Little types, we get 50 cents each out of those
Old February 23, 2016   #7
reddeheddefarm
Tomatovillian™

what area are you ?
reddeheddefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doss View Post
at the local farmers market in my area, nothing is worth anything.
Tomatoes, if I price them at anything higher than $1 a pound, I take them all back home.[...]
I do get $2 for cherry tomatoes.
That's my market and pricing as well.

I sell by the bag/basket instead of by weight, but since most of the people here are required by religious edict to grow gardens, and since they give away their vegetables to each other, and since most everybody is poor, nothing is worth anything.

The local farm stands in northern Utah sell tomatoes for as low as 38 cents per pound during peak tomato season. (In bushel quantities.) I'm willing to let bulk quantities go for 50 cents per pound, but not any less than that.

joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #9
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Wow Joseph.
How do you make a living at those prices?
Old February 23, 2016   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

is that 8$ for the whole box of peaches?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My prices are low, too, although not as bad as Joseph's.

I start my mixed color cherry pints at $3 or 2 for $5. I have dropped them to $2 in late summer when I have a large supply.

The first guy with tomatoes at market grows them hydroponically in a heated greenhouse, picks them green, and gasses them with ethylene to make them pink. They are like eating a mouthful of pink sand, but people buy them, because they are the first tomatoes. I don't even know what he charges; I don't consider his product to be tomatoes.

The organic heirloom vendor sets her prices at $4 a pound. I rarely see her sell anything. The rest of us keep to about the same prices. We start at $2.50/lb I think. Then over the course of the summer, it drops to $1.50, and bottoms out at 99 cents in late July, sometimes only for the last hour or so of market.

I haven't started selling to restaurants, yet. Market customers buy with their eyes. They hate imperfect fruit, bug bites, or anything that looks wrong. I would think that chefs would care a lot more about taste than looks, because the restaurant customer is never going to see what the whole tomato looked like.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #12
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Wow Joseph.
How do you make a living at those prices?
I'm a monk. I live under a vow of poverty...
Old February 23, 2016   #13
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
is that 8$ for the whole box of peaches?
Yup. Those boxes are peck sized, so $16 per half bushel.
Old February 23, 2016   #14
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I primarily sell at a produce auction these days and am quite pleased.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #15
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I sell "Amazing Tomatoes". These are Tom Wagner, Artisan, WBF and a few other exotic varieties in order to set myself apart from the standard round, red crowd. I get $4/lb for regular size, and $5/pint for cherries, until August when I have to knock off $1 due to the absolute flood of tomatoes on the market. I do attract more attention with the unique varieties, but by October I'm down to $3/lb and $3/pint just to sell out.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote