Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2018   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Tararsenko Rozovyi (pink) question

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's grown this variety. I thought it was fairly early. We've had a long hot summer, but now nighttime lows are nearing freezing, and at 82 days I'm not sure they'll ripen. The plant is really loaded with very pale green (bordering on yellow) attractive hearts. Do they blush pink when they start to ripen?

I'm thinking I may have to cut down the plant and hang it in the cellar.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's grown this variety. I thought it was fairly early. We've had a long hot summer, but now nighttime lows are nearing freezing, and at 82 days I'm not sure they'll ripen. The plant is really loaded with very pale green (bordering on yellow) attractive hearts. Do they blush pink when they start to ripen?

I'm thinking I may have to cut down the plant and hang it in the cellar.

Steve
Steve,it doesn't look early from this source

http://croatianseeds-store.com/index...os-pink-detail

Carolyn
Old August 25, 2018   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure I got Tarasenko Pink seeds from NarnianGarden a few years ago. To the best of my recollection, it was a mid-season variety for me. Maybe NarnianGarden will pop in on this thread, or you could PM her for more information, since your climate is so similar.

Last edited by ddsack; August 26, 2018 at 12:38 AM.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #4
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
I know. I've recently done searches, and the Croatian site turned up. I honestly don't know, and haven't been able to find out, why I thought it was early.

Steve
Old August 26, 2018   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hello, I have grown it in a few different locations / micro climates, and it definitely should already be turning pink - of course the heat may have stalled the development, who knows.
If you suspect coming nights to be freezing,perhaps it is safer to pick a few that look closest to ripening, and leave the rest 'under cover' ... (I need to find my covering blankets too...)
Hoping you will soon get to taste it, for me it was out of this world. Loved the sweet burst of rich flavor!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hello, I have grown it in a few different locations / micro climates, and it definitely should already be turning pink - of course the heat may have stalled the development, who knows.
If you suspect coming nights to be freezing,perhaps it is safer to pick a few that look closest to ripening, and leave the rest 'under cover' ... (I need to find my covering blankets too...)
Hoping you will soon get to taste it, for me it was out of this world. Loved the sweet burst of rich flavor!
Thanks, NarnianGarden. I've been covering them so far. I can't say there are any close to ripening yet - no noticeable shift from very pale green. I brought one in anyway, yesterday, so we'll see. Like you said, maybe it doesn't like the heat.

Steve
Old August 27, 2018   #7
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn
Hahaha! Can you find Pink Tarasenko from a different site?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #8
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Hahaha! Can you find Pink Tarasenko from a different site?
Yes, on many Ukrainian and Russian sites, and they don't look like my fruits, which are more oval shaped hearts (not elongated),and don't have the pointy tip like here:

https://nikitovkaseeds.myshopify.com...roducts/201157

and here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Tara...w=1138&bih=558

So I have the wrong plant!

Steve
Old August 28, 2018   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The most common form is oval-ish, however, I have had shapes varying from oval to blunt hearts to what looked like a beefsteak... On the same plant.
My seeds are from Nikitovka and I grew them on different years, and weather definitely makes these differences in shape.
Last year, I had one huge heart in the cold and rainy weather, before I took in indoors before it might rot... only then did other begin to grow.
The ideal form (with the 'nipple') was in 2014, when the summer was relatively normal and my location very warm.
Old August 28, 2018   #10
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
The most common form is oval-ish, however, I have had shapes varying from oval to blunt hearts to what looked like a beefsteak... On the same plant.
My seeds are from Nikitovka and I grew them on different years, and weather definitely makes these differences in shape.
Last year, I had one huge heart in the cold and rainy weather, before I took in indoors before it might rot... only then did other begin to grow.
The ideal form (with the 'nipple') was in 2014, when the summer was relatively normal and my location very warm.

That seems very strange. My plant is loaded with nearly identically shaped hearts that look nothing like Nikitovka's photo.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0013.jpg (480.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0010.jpg (648.7 KB, 28 views)
Old August 28, 2018   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Whatever you got, looks nice! Enjoy and let us know how they progress.