Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2018   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default 2018 tomato season begins

All outside and getting sun. Half are Cherokee Purple, one Arkansas Traveler, one Boxcar Willy and the rest are Pomodoro di Sorrento. Sorrento tomato is a seed I brought back from Italy when visiting family in 2016. My uncle has been growing them a long time. But I have tried Italian tomatos in Texas in the past and they did not do well. Last year this Sorrento tomato did well enough I thought I would try again.

IMG_1305.jpg
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Texas as always leading the pack! Good luck with your grow this year, Ozone. Will you be doing the marigolds etc again?

I believe Sorrento is a large one, iirc, a bit late for us. But I'm growing that little Napoli a Fiaschetto again this year to refresh my seeds. Fantastic genetics IMO in the Italian tomatoes, sturdy, hardy, adaptable.... and good tasting too. That's based on one tomato of course.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #3
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Texas as always leading the pack! Good luck with your grow this year, Ozone. Will you be doing the marigolds etc again?

I believe Sorrento is a large one, iirc, a bit late for us. But I'm growing that little Napoli a Fiaschetto again this year to refresh my seeds. Fantastic genetics IMO in the Italian tomatoes, sturdy, hardy, adaptable.... and good tasting too. That's based on one tomato of course.
I will add the marigolds some time in the next week or two. They are not quite ready yet.
The Sorrento is fairly large and inconsistent. Some are 5 inches others are 3. Fairly smoothe, round and ever slightly oblate. Very good flavor, not quite as good as Cherokee Purple but the Sorrento makes A LOT of fruit. My uncle garden will bear fruit from early June to Octobre end but that is Amalfi coast weather. Napoli Fiaschetto is a childhood favorite. We would throw them at each other
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, they are pretty crack resistant....
Old March 25, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

The Sorrento sounds awesome.. hope you post some pics later on.
Old March 26, 2018   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice garden and plants , oz.
I am a few days behind you, here in NC. My seedlings are over 8 weeks old. Starting to get a bit lanky. No problem. I,ll just plant them a bit deeper and hill them too. In the south it gets warm quickly, as opposed to NYC and PNW. Back in PNW it wont get warm until July.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Pomodoro di Sorrento sounds like a wonderful tomato. How nice to have something in your garden that has been passed down from your family. If your season goes well, consider saving plenty of seed and sharing with other Tomatovillian's in the 2018 (MMMM) Mostly Mystery Mater Mailing. I am sure than we have many members that would enjoy growing your families tomato.
Old March 28, 2018   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default 2018 tomato season begins

Looks like a good start to the year. I wonder if your grandfather's Sorrento is similar to the one that used to be sold by Seeds of Italy -- varying size, sweet and prolific pink round/beefsteak. It has become one of my mother's favorites and was the one my son always selected when he would take home tomatoes. I have not grown it for a few years, but probably should to at least re-new the seed since they no longer carry it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote