Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2018   #1
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf questions....

This year I'm growing the Dwarf Purple Heart, the seeds have already germinated. I grew Arctic Rose last year but I was disappointed; I would like to try for a better result with the Purple Heart. Some questions for members who have grown the dwarfs...

*Should I plant the stem deep as I do with my regular tomato plants? Info says the purple heart is tree shaped.
*Do the dwarfs need more or different care then regular tomatoes... different or more or less fertilizer and/or water.

The Arctic Rose started out fine and then seemed to decline and the tomatoes were very small and distorted in shape, although they tasted okay.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #2
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dwarf Purple Heart a couple years ago along with quite a few other dwarf tomatoes. It was my favorite among the dwarf varieties. Sadly for me they seemed more susceptible to disease issues. I know lots here grow them with very good results.
I did harvest quite a few before disease set in, and Purple Heart was the last one to succumb to disease.

I planted the same as I do all other tomatoes, buried them deep and kept them fed well.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #3
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Thank you ! I'll keep an eye out for signs of disease... Good to hear you liked the fruit...
Old April 3, 2018   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew a few dwarfs and read about them. They are not supposed to be pruned but I found some were too dense for good air circulation and pruned out some of the lower foliage. Seemed to work well.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Last year I grew a few dwarfs and read about them. They are not supposed to be pruned but I found some were too dense for good air circulation and pruned out some of the lower foliage. Seemed to work well.

I've been growing for the project for a few years and this is perfect advice in my opinion.

The dwarfs grow very densely and their leaves tend to hold moisture give the texture. Pruning leaf branches out to increase air circulation is a must in humid environments. And I always planted mine a bit deeper.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Arctic Rose is a "Determinate" variety. Hence, one crop and done. Check the "Grumpy" family for a complete history on its development.

Most of the dwarfs coming out of the Cross Hemisphere Project will have dense foliage and compact shape to the plants. Pruning is not suggested, but to each their own. Especially with the dwarfs, pruning may significantly shrink production numbers.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Powdery mildew shrinks production, too. If a plant has 10% pm the experts say that plant will have a 10% reduction in the amount of fruit.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #8
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Great info, everyone ! I did not prune the Arctic Rose I grew last year and it did seem to me the the leaves were in a dense clump that started to look discolored and unhealthy.... I just left it since it was my first dwarf and I had read not to prune.
Old April 4, 2018   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

Most of the dwarfs coming out of the Cross Hemisphere Project will have dense foliage and compact shape to the plants. Pruning is not suggested, but to each their own. Especially with the dwarfs, pruning may significantly shrink production numbers.

This is why I only prune leaf branches. It'll open up the plant to air circulation without reducing production.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #10
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Dwarf Purple Heart couple of season. I loved the shape and color of the fruits. But it was not really a dwarf. Plus it was late season and not productive.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Diseases due to humidity are definitely an increased problem with dwarfs. On the plus side you get great wind resistance and smaller and nicer looking plants. I would say the water requirements seem less, I think the transpiration of the rugose leaf might be lower.
Like always, you need to try more to get a few keeper varieties. Not all the dwarf project releases are great imo (maybe I had too high expectations).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote