Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2006   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks to Bully...attack of the killer tomatoes!

Ernesto and Rinaldo are truly monster plants. They were planted in containers because I didn't have room in the garden. My 15-yr-old son is complaining because those two plants just happen to be under his bedroom window. They now have topped the window and kept on going. Some branches have decided to flop over now and keep on going, they look downright scary! I've fed them once, the same as the others in containers beside them. Very bushy with slightly droopy foliage and lots of really pretty fruit. I know they will keep my Villaware strainer in business later. Thanks Bully!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Villaware strainer? I are you happy with it? I have the attachments for a kitchen aide but I cringe just thinking about putting it together...
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #3
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Talk about killer tomatoes.

http://www.killertomatoes.com
Old June 8, 2006   #4
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

Wow that website was like some sort of crazy hole in time or something...I felt like I was five again...LOL

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #5
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

I am amazed at the quality and quantity of both Rinaldo and Ernesto.

I have so many that I have used them to introduce folks to something other than a beefsteak.

By now here on the Gulf Coast most plants have slowed down but Rinaldo and Ernesto seem willing to continue setting fruit in this heat. I am also very pleased that the plants have remained healthy while most are suffering from all the rain and not the heat.

I belief they deserve to be in everyone's garden every year.

Thanks again Bully
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #6
bully
Tomatovillian™

"You like me, you really like me"..well you like the tomatoes anyway and that makes me happy.

I forget who said that at the oscars..sally fields?

Every year I lose a plant and this year it was my lone Ernesto..I tossed in a back up, a potato leaf Mary Ann and went on with my life. I was cool with it I like to skip a year on some varieties anyway.

I had my garden finally in and was happy to be done with the whole seed starting thru planting stage.
Now I could just sit back and watch em grow..take a little break before the tying up and blossom bagging began...but I made the mistake of mentioning it to Francesca..she did a U-turn on the sidewalk, on that tricycle of hers and was back with a plant in 5 mins..ha ha..not sure where I'll put it but there's always room for more.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully
"You like me, you really like me"..well you like the tomatoes anyway and that makes me happy.

I forget who said that at the oscars..sally fields?
Yep, that was Sally. Hey, bully, did you know you're mentioned by name in the Yearbook? However, Earl is mentioned as well, and several times at that.

As an aside, Mischka is still mentioned in the Marianna's Peace listing.

Francesca sounds like a hoot. I can just see her on that tricycle now.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #8
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Ernesto and Rinaldo? I'm not familiar with either of those varieites. What are they like? As far as size & shape, (of the tomatoes), color, flavor, etc.
Old June 8, 2006   #9
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fert1,

We will tell you but first you have to promise to join the SSE Exchange as we need your support and participation.

Seed Savers Exchange
(True Seed Exhange)
Kent Whealy
RR3
Box 239
Decorah, IA 52101
(319) 382-5990
A grass-roots genetic preservation project whose members worktogether to save
our vanishing vegetable heritage.
(not sure of the frequency of issue)
individual subscriptions $25.00

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #10
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

IMISSCOLO, I love my Villaware but I had never used another type so I can't compare. I bought it on recommendation from some people over on the GW Harvest forum a few years ago and it really made my life a lot easier for canning sauce. You don't have to peel or core, just cut up chunks to fit, sometimes just halving. Then cook it down a bit and voila!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2006   #11
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Park
Hi Fert1,

We will tell you but first you have to promise to join the SSE Exchange as we need your support and participation.
Aaaaw! Come on. Not even a description? Actually, I had kicked around the idea of joining a few times, but was low on cash at the time. I could probably afford it now though. So maybe I will. I do strongly believe in the cause, so to speak.

Another reason I hadn't done so as of yet, is I don't do a lot of seed saving...yet. I'm new enough to heirlooms that there are lots and lots of varieties I want to try. So saving seeds, when I may plant totally different plants next year, doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it would be just for trade. I do usually save seeds of varieties that I know I will plant the next year, my MUST-HAVES, such as Cherokee Purple, & Rose. SunGold is also on my MUST-HAVE list, but since it is not OP, no point saving seeds with that one.

I have a feeling that Azoychka and Silvery Fir Tree may be getting added to the MUST-GROW list, provided they taste as good as they are productive.
Old June 9, 2006   #12
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Holly,

Join SSE if only to get the catalog in the spring. Once you start going through it, there WILL be things you will really want to try. Then, you start thinking, that if you save some of the seeds, you can make trades...or offer something in return for the generosity that others show. It really does feel great to be able to send seeds to someone else who would love to try something for the first time.
Old June 10, 2006   #13
bully
Tomatovillian™

Rinaldo is a fat bomb shaped tomato, that according to my neighbor Francesca makes the best sauce in the world.
Her husband and her brought the tomato to America with them in 1946

Ernesto is a very large tomato that I believe may be in the paste family as well, some seed locales are empty yet it is juicy. Both plants have wispy foliage.
Francesca's husband Rinaldo got the variety Ernesto from his friend in 1956.

If anyone would like seeds, please send me your address.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2006   #14
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully
Rinaldo is a fat bomb shaped tomato, that according to my neighbor Francesca makes the best sauce in the world.
Her husband and her brought the tomato to America with them in 1946

Ernesto is a very large tomato that I believe may be in the paste family as well, some seed locales are empty yet it is juicy. Both plants have wispy foliage.
Francesca's husband Rinaldo got the variety Ernesto from his friend in 1956.

If anyone would like seeds, please send me your address.
Thanks for the description, and I just may take you up on that offer.