Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default A few of the mysteries to be solved in 2006....

Every season has its mysteries - and for me 2006 has loads! Here are the varieties I am anticipating the most this year....

1. the Nine Dwarf F1s (8 by Patrina, 1 by Bruce) - we know that the crosses took since all nine are indeterminate, and seeds were saved from fruit from the dwarf parent. But - what size, color and shape will these be? We are doing this to try to find larger fruited, different colored dwarf types (people can follow this project in the Research and Development section).

2. Gold cherry tomatoes - I am growing Sungold F1, Sweet Gold F1, Katinka and Sungold Select II. Also in the mix are two plants from gold colored cherry volunteers that popped up in unexpected places last season. How will all of these compare? And what will the plants from the two volunteers give us?

3. Finally growing Earl's Faux and Granny Cantrell - looking forward to tasting those from my garden!

4. Anna Banana - hoping to get a delicious pale yellow heart shaped variety (a Washington State market gardener sent me this, which originated with Anna russian)

5. Silvery Fir Tree- growing it in a pot, will it last longer before getting diseased? Will it taste better than Carrot Like, which I got at the SSE Campout many years ago?

6. Citron Compact - how will it compare to Golden Dwarf Champion? And will it give me some fruit before meeting its demise - last year it went down very quickly and I didn't get to taste it.

7. What's up with Saucy Green and Sophie's Choice and Marmande, three varieties I've had for a few years and finally getting to try them out.

8. Do I FINALLY have an Indeterminate version of Green Grape (got seeds from Jennifer in Canada)

9. The colors and flavors of some of Brad's varieties - Black Heart, Pork Chop, Fuzzy Cherokee, Giant Green Zebra, Beauty King, Berkeley Tie Dye, Large Barred Boar...can't wait to see and try these!

10. Will I get something large and green from the regular leaf seedling from Reinhard's Green Giant? And how about the regular leaf and potato leaf from Grub's Mystery Green Seed.

11. Will the potato leaf seedling from my saved seed from Yugoslavian give me a large pink potato leaf heart?

12. Looking forward to trying a few family heirlooms that are new to me - Mountaineer Mystery, Grandpa Ludolph, Yoder's German Yellow, and a few more I've had for awhile but finally getting to - Kellogg's Breakfast potato leaf, Earl of Edgecomb, and Noire do Coeusboeuf

Finally lucky 13 - what sort of variety, color, flavor will I get from the dozen Brandywine F3s I'm growing (from last year's most interesting F2s)...and the 35 of these that are growing remotely (by a coworker of Lee).

And Bully - your mutant Stick seed gave me typical looking potato leaf seedlings and I have one of them growing. What is THAT going to give me!

Now we just need to escape Tomato Spotted Wilt, Fusarium, weeds, deer, stink bugs, deer, downburst wind thunderstorms, tropical storms, drought, ......
Old June 18, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Craig, I've grown Silvery Fir Tree and Carrot-Like from Seeds Blum I got in the early 80's and I found them to be indistinguishable.

What is Saucy Green? I thought that was an undistributed Wagner variety and while I sent you Verde Claro I didn't send you Saucy Green.

When I first joined GW Earl sent me his indet GG and it lasted for one season as indet.

Neil lists the variety as Yugoslavian Heart and as PL from an SSE listing, so remind mne what happened with that situation with his first seeds he sent. Meaning it was supposed to be a PL pink heart from the get go.
Old June 18, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You sent me Saucy Green some years ago, and I finally am getting a chance to grow it out - I have no idea of its heritage and what to expect...so fill me in!

I am surprised you got Carrot Like from Blum - I saw it growing at the SSE Convention in the late 1980's and Kent said that they just got it from Russia (Maria Danilenko, whom I met there).

My suspected Indeterminate Green Grape looked very different from Determinate Green Grape early on, but at about 1 foot tall, is starting to act Determinate...just don't know what's up with this and I wish I could find the indeterminate strain (though I've not given up on my plant this year).

Last year Neil sent me Yugoslavian Heart and they all came up regular leaf - it produced pink hearts. I saved seed and ended up 50-50 potato/regular leaf. Not sure what is up, but suspect Neil's seed was crossed.
Old June 18, 2006   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn said, "When I first joined GW Earl sent me his indet GG and it lasted for one season as indet."

Carolyn, IMHO, I think Tom got trigger happy and released GG before it was stablized. To many determinates showing up for it to be two different heights. IS there a source for sure fire indet?
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2006   #5
pbud
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing GG this year from seeds Earl sent me, and it's definitely determinate. Earl, of the gg you've grown what percentage would you say have been determinate vs indet? Did the fruit vary in size, color, taste, or shape depending on which it was?
Thanks,
Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2006   #6
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

I'm growing Green Giant this year. I got seeds from someone who probably got them from you. Only two germinated for me, one PL and one RL. I'm anxious to see how they compare. That Fuzzy Cherokee sounds interesting.