Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 15, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Blacks - red/black vs pink/black

Hi,

I know that there has been a fair amount of discussion (or mention made of) the red/black (yellow epidermis) and pink/black (clear epidermis) tomatoes here, but after searching this site and google for a while I haven't been able to find much info on specific varieties.

My spring garden was beset with various calamities, but I've now got most of my late summer/fall tomatoes set out in the garden. I have quite a few black varieties planted and am curious as to which are red/black and which are pink/black. Since it's too early for me to check skin color, I wonder if anyone here might be so kind as to tell me which of the following are red/blacks and which are pink/blacks.

Black from Tula
Spudtula
Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart
Purple Bumble Bee
Dana's Dusky Rose
JD's Special-C Tex
Margaret Curtain
Amazon Chocolate
Carbon
Brad's Black Heart
Bear Creek
Tasmanian Chocolate
Spudakee
Gary'O Sena
Zachary
BKX
Black Krim

Thanks!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Anne, I'm the one who started referring to so called blacks as either pink/blacks or red/blacks,with the epidermis colors you mentioned and did so many years ago.

I could tell you which is which for a few that you list but have not grown all of them.

But my question is,what difference does it really make if a black has a clear epridermis vs a yellow one?

I happen to prefer the taste of the pink/blacks, but I think we all know that taste is both personal and perceptual and even has a human genetic factor involved. So for sure some might prefer the red/blacks and some might not even care.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2014   #3
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, I've read a number of your posts re: the red/blacks and pink/blacks but only a few of the varieties I listed have been identified by you (or others) as one type or the other. I've got Black from Tula as a pink/black and Carbon and Black Krim as red/blacks, but that's about it that I can recall.

You wrote:
---------------------------------------
But my question is,what difference does it really make if a black has a clear epridermis vs a yellow one?
---------------------------------------
I guess I'm a little compulsive/obsessive and I'd just like to sort out "what's what" in my fall garden now that it's pretty much all planted. I like to categorize things into all my reds, all my pinks, all my red oxhearts, all my pink oxhearts, etc. Since the blacks CAN be categorized by epidermis color, why not do that too?? I sort of want to see what similarities there might be (to my tastes) within each type - and if it might turn out that I might like one type better than the other.

You also wrote:
-------------------------------------
I happen to prefer the taste of the pink/blacks
-----------------------------------

Do you think this is just coincidence or chance that you prefer the pink/blacks? And, while on the subject, I believe I've read that epidermis color doesn't make a taste difference between reds and pinks, yet I keep reading that people will prefer pink beefsteaks over red beefsteaks, for example...... (starting to get a bit off topic here and opening up a whole new can of worms ).

Anyway, I've just got an urge to categorize my tomatoes and I know there's someone out there in tomatoville who could answer my question.

Anne
Old July 15, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Anne, someone somewhere and sometime, don't you just love the specifics here, did tell me that with the pink/blacks and the red/blacks that the epidermis color was related to taste.

Right now I can't remember who that was but when I get time there are a couple of folks who are prime suspects and I can e-mail them.Actually one is aTV member, the other one is not,to try and find out what I can/

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2014   #5
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn!

Anne