Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2016   #16
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

I have major problems with dandelions in the border landscaping areas next to my veggie beds. The area is covered with a heavy landscape fabric with lava rock on top and it's about impossible for me to get out the roots of the larger weeds. I'll cut down the top as far as I can, but the weeds keep growing back. Last year I was able to kill the roots by pouring boiling water from an electric tea kettle over the exposed stump and a bit of the surrounding area. It did work but was pretty tedious and a bit scary.

In a few days i'll be trying to kill the roots using an electric handheld steamer. (I can get extension cords out to the garden). Several models around $30 are available on Amazon. I'm in a wheelchair, so what I plan to do is zip tie the flexible hose of one of the nozzle attachments to a bamboo stake or something similar so I can use it sort of like a wand and extend the "working length" of the attachment. I'll set the steamer on the ground then just direct the steam to each exposed stem for a bit. The brand I got was something like "Goliath." It heats up to 12 oz of water to 275 degrees (hotter than boiling water) and apparently works for 15-20 minutes per fill or pressurization (not sure yet). The various brands/models seemed pretty similar. If it works as planned, I'll let you know.

I don't want to use any chemicals (esp. Roundup) in the area and smothering the weeds probably wouldn't work in my situation due to all the lava rock. So I hope the steamer idea works. Otherwise, it's probably back to hand weeding.

Anne

PS - basically the same idea as one of those propane tank flame weeders you see in the seed catalogs - but safer and more manageable (for me). Hope it works!

Last edited by aclum; May 15, 2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added PS
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I hope that works for you, aclum. If it doesn't, you might try a propane torch. I have always wanted a flame-thrower
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #18
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cole,

I don't "do" flames in the garden ("Oh, the humanity!!") LOL (for some reason the emotocons or emojis or whatever aren't working for me on this brower right now).

If I were able bodied and brave, something like this might be fun, though:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6000-re...me-weeder.aspx

(BTW, love your cow Sugar).

Anne
Old May 15, 2016   #19
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I used to use a flame gun some years ago, we positioned the flame over the weed for just a few seconds, it didn't have to burn away but the intense heat did the job and a day or so later it was withered right down into the roots.

We have a super tool for dandelions in the lawn, I will try and find a link you put the tool over the weed, stand on the tool then just pull back and in a couple of seconds it comes up complete with taproot.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2016   #20
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hey,

Just googled "killing weeds with steam cleaner" and came up with a bunch of info:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.ZEU9Goi5l2Q

Seems it actually works !!
Guess there's nothing new under the sun .

Anne

PS to Jeannine..... Thanks for the tip on the dandelion weeder for lawns, but I probably wouldn't be able to use it and I let our lawn mowing guys worry about any lawn dandelions.
Old May 15, 2016   #21
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have a propane flame thrower. It's the best for tough weeds like blackberries. That and goats.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hey,

Just googled "killing weeds with steam cleaner" and came up with a bunch of info:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.ZEU9Goi5l2Q

Seems it actually works !!
Guess there's nothing new under the sun .

Anne

PS to Jeannine..... Thanks for the tip on the dandelion weeder for lawns, but I probably wouldn't be able to use it and I let our lawn mowing guys worry about any lawn dandelions.
I like the Hot Air Gun. It is like hair drier but outputs much higher temperature. I have one to soften PVC pipes when I want to bend them. It is Wagner brand.
I think it can kill big weeds without setting a fire.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #23
Kootenaygal
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Ann, I am also plagued with what we call "horsetail" in my area. I honestly dont think there is any getting rid of it, believe me, I have tried! Equisetum (latin name) was thriving back in the dinosaur age and whatever caused the demise of the dinos only stunted the size of this invasive plant. Just be happy it is no longer 30 meters high, lol!

About 10 years ago, frustrated by how it was running rampant through my aproximately 50 by 75 ft garden, I covered my beautiful, rich, black soil with several layers of lumber wraps (they are like heavy duty tarps), covered all with gravel and built raised beds made with cemented cinder blocks added fresh, weed-free soil, it was a lot of effort and cost and I honestly love my raised beds, BUT the evil weed has worked it's way into all but 2 of my raised beds- roughly 7/8's of them and is coming up all through the pathways, it only took about 3 years to recolonize- I should not have been surprised, it was the first plant to re-establish itself after the Mount Saint Helens' eruption!

I have been humbled and am trying to learn to live with it... If I have the time, I snip the greenery off and use it as mulch and I have actually noticed that it seems to keep the slugs from devouring my strawberries, I guess the silica content is too sharp for them to crawl over. Other than that, I mulch heavily with cardboard, grass clippings and straw.

I'm sorry that I don't have any wonderful fix for you, I believe it is even resistant to Round-up, which I wouldn't use anyway. I try to focus on growing strong healthy plants that can compete well.

Just know that you are not alone in the struggle
Kootenaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #24
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just a note to add. I received a magazine from HSL, for those who are not familiar, it is the UK version of SSE.The magazine is part of your subscription. In it they were talking about Scotland and how it handles some garden stuff as opposed to England and 1 thing struck me as interesting. The council(municipality) in Aberdeen are not using weed killers in places they are using very hot water. I am going to have a go with the mares tail and a few kettles full of boiling and see what happens..I will let you all know.
Old May 25, 2016   #25
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Just a note to add. I received a magazine from HSL, for those who are not familiar, it is the UK version of SSE.The magazine is part of your subscription. In it they were talking about Scotland and how it handles some garden stuff as opposed to England and 1 thing struck me as interesting. The council(municipality) in Aberdeen are not using weed killers in places they are using very hot water. I am going to have a go with the mares tail and a few kettles full of boiling and see what happens..I will let you all know.

The cluster of horsetails you see are attached to a risome located much deeper in the soil; that's why it's so difficult to kill. Sorry you hate it.

18 fronds 30" - 36" long chopped into 1/2" sections and frozen should sell for $3.00 with a tea recipe and usage sheet included. This will make 3 gallons of tea.

If you make the tea yourself, it should sell for $3.00 a gallon. The tea doesn't require refrigeration and keeps for over a year. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #26
Kootenaygal
Tomatovillian™

Oh my! If I knew where to market it, I could quit my day job
Kootenaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #27
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

If it is horsetail (Equisetum), which is what it looks like in Jeanine Anne's pictures, it is actually sold as an herbal remedy.

I've seen something about changing the Ph of the soil to control it, but don't know if that would mess up your soil for the garden plants.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #28
LDiane

Try landscape fabric. The only weed I have ever had come up through it was
one type of pointy-tipped grass.

Put soil on top of the fabric and plant in it. Do not puncture the fabric.

Your plants will be able to send their roots below the fabric, as root hairs are
only one cell thick.
Old May 25, 2016   #29
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

We tried the weed block on top last year, it didn't push through it pushed it up even with soil on. It also limited what I could plant.These shoots are as thick as asparagus. We are planning on emptying every 2 feet deep raised bed and blocking at the bottom then replacing the soil, bit it is a huge job.

I did say earlier about vhanging the PH, it does apparently work but it takes a couple of years and I can't do that as it is next door that is the cause of my problem, It is like a forest.
Old May 25, 2016   #30
petrancher
Tomatovillian™

I use newspaper and / or cardboard with straw on top--dried grass clippings can work too.
Like Robbie, my place is full of the stuff.
petrancher is offline   Reply With Quote