Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2016   #1
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Default t5 high output lights

What would be the best distance between tomato seedlings and the t5 ho lights?
I read somewhere no less than 4 inches and no more than 24. I had them set about 1 inch and it seemed too close. It gets pretty warm under there. What say you???
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #2
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I had mine set that close at one point earlier this Spring. I think it would depend on temp. in your growing space.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

You want your seedlings as close as possible without touching. T5 HO lights only put out minimal heat.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

"minimal heat"? Compared to what? T5HO puts out enough heat to damage leaves in contact - not like the old T12s. Otherwise your advice is good - close as possible without touching. (This assumes that there is an air mover in the vicinity...)
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
"minimal heat"? Compared to what? T5HO puts out enough heat to damage leaves in contact - not like the old T12s. Otherwise your advice is good - close as possible without touching. (This assumes that there is an air mover in the vicinity...)
dear God, are we really down to this? well please let me rephrase. In MY experience, I raised over 100 seedlings under T5 HO lights and the plants are thriving. I kept them as close as possible, some actually did touch the lights before I got them planted out. Those seedlings are now producing fruits.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I have T5 HO lights and I've burned some leaves that touched. It's not a huge deal, but I'd prefer not to do that so I try to keep them an inch or two away.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2016   #7
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I grow mine in the house, so it's always pretty much 75 degrees. I put my lights about 2 inches above my seedlings. They will burn when they touch the light, but it's not real bad.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #8
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Well I checked the temperature under the lights at 2 inches and its about 85 degrees, so I think Ill keep them about 2 or so from the bulbs.

Next year instead of buying a heat mat Ill just put my seed tray just under the lights and they should germinate nicely at 85. Save buying a mat
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #9
habanero
Tomatovillian™

Well Weaselbean, I keep my t-5 about an inch from the seedlings. I have the same experience that everybody else has. I use a heat mat. I've crisped a few leaves when I was forgetful but no big deal. They recover fine. Good luck!
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote