Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 13, 2018   #46
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Hey Cole.. hows Mother Nature treating yall up there? Last night I left my sides rolled up.

Im sure Mother Nature will come back swinging to punish me.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It finally got warm, but it is supposed to frost again in a few days. I'm pretty much giving up on my plant-selling season altogether. Between a cold month of almost no sun and a lot of freeze damage, I don't have anything to take to market for at least a couple more weeks. Weather-wise, this has been the worst spring for growing plants that I can remember, some of my fellow vendors who have been in the business 30+ years say the same thing.

If I were to do this all over again, I would build a fortress of a greenhouse with an insulated north wall and end walls, and insulated shutters I can close at night and turn on the heat. Trying to keep a plastic tent warm at night is just ridiculous.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2018   #48
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Cole.. I really hate that for you. Its been tough for all of us this year, thats for sure.

So are you still in the produce business for this year?
Old April 14, 2018   #49
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I am trying to transition to being a cut flower grower instead of a tomato grower. My garden has persistent disease issues that have taken out my plants earlier each year for the past few years. I can still sell a few container flowers and plants through the summer as well. My family still has the market membership; I'll just let them grow the actual produce. My cousin just built two high tunnels and wants to be a grower now, too.

Growing actual food has been far from profitable for me, unfortunately. I think all of our prices are set by international competition, whether we realize it or not. Live plants are harder to ship internationally, which is why the prices are higher, as compared to food, and thus more profitable to grow.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2018   #50
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks. I am trying to transition to being a cut flower grower instead of a tomato grower. My garden has persistent disease issues that have taken out my plants earlier each year for the past few years. I can still sell a few container flowers and plants through the summer as well. My family still has the market membership; I'll just let them grow the actual produce. My cousin just built two high tunnels and wants to be a grower now, too.

Growing actual food has been far from profitable for me, unfortunately. I think all of our prices are set by international competition, whether we realize it or not. Live plants are harder to ship internationally, which is why the prices are higher, as compared to food, and thus more profitable to grow.

I understand what your saying, and I wont disagree. I think your on to something.

On a similar but unrelated topic, my Wife and I had an interesting observation and conversation earlier today. I have now been at my new market for 3 Saturdays, peddling my plants. The customer base is entirely different then the other market. This new market attracts younger, "foodie", "hipster" type of customers. Something we noticed, they dont think anything of the prices. No haggling over prices like the older crowds. This generation seems to value and appreciate the effort and work put into the product. Whether its my plants, or buying a loaf of Artisan Bread, or Free Range Duck Eggs from other vendors. They seem to rail against Big-Ag/Corporate Farms in that manner, by happily forking over their cash.

It will be interesting to observe when regular produce starts coming in.

Just an observation.