Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 6, 2012   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Patent application for harvest of high solids tomatoes

I found this interesting. Crossing to a specific S. hirsutum line allowed late harvest of wrinkled tomatoes with a very high solids (low moisture) content. The trait of interest apparently allows "drying" on the vine without microbial degradation.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/7,119,261

Last edited by frogsleap farm; July 6, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: link was inoperable
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Keep trying Frog, the link does not work yet. The patent number is enough to find it.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Keep trying Frog, the link does not work yet. The patent number is enough to find it.

DarJones
Yeah, frustrating. I used this link on my blog and it works fine. I'll try something new.
Old July 6, 2012   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

When you put a link into a blog or forum, the software displays those links shortened with "...". If you then copy that URL and paste it somewhere else, it's broken. You have to right-click on the link and choose "Copy Link Location". Then you get the real address.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...1&RS=7,119,261

So it's Lycopersicon hirsutum, a wrinkled wild tomato, crossed with the garden tomato. I didn't know you could patent something that can happen accidentally in your backyard.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #5
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
So it's Lycopersicon hirsutum,.... crossed with the garden tomato. I didn't know you could patent something that can happen accidentally in your backyard.
Yes, it does sound a little close to biopiracy. I worry that indigenous farmers somewhere may have been growing something similar for decades and now find themselves in a situation where they could be sued for patent infringement.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

The wild relatives of the tomato have been a rich source of useful genetic variation. Although S. hirsutum and S. peruvianum lack the attributes to make them an attractive crop plant per se, they have been a rich source of trait genes useful in tomato breeding - for example multiple disease resistance genes from related species have been transferred to cultivated tomato. There is nothing wrong with mining related relatives for useful genes. I'm surprised about the granted patent though - normally the USPTO does not allow the patenting of naturally occurring genes/traits.
Old July 7, 2012   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Technically, the patent is not for the trait involved. It is for the line that was developed with commercial fruit production that also expresses the fruit drying traits. But arguing it in court could be difficult.

Various available lines of tomatoes already express this drying trait to some degree. Stupice for example will shrivel as it dries. The same for Hires Rootstock.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote