Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 20, 2020   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Thanks Karen, also I was not clear in my above post: I do use 50% strength MG and 50% Fish Fertilizer at the same time. I also use Myco Blast for the roots as a one time application( I am going to try to freeze all the Myco Blast I have left - used very little and I hate to toss it)
Pete
Myco Blast being a mycorrhizae & bacterial inoculant doesn't go bad and can last for years with only a small loss of spore viability per year as long as you keep your powder dry and in a cool place. Don't freeze the inoculant, the spores can handle freezing temperatures only if kept in a medium that will insulate the spores from those temperatures, the typical types of powdered carriers they use for inoculants can't do that.

Watch your Phosphorous. You don't want to over fertilize with P when inoculating your roots because that will inhibit the mycorrhizal association from occurring which may take a few weeks. Don't be afraid to reapply the mycos and bacteria more than once, that's better insurance for a heathy micro herd as the roots grow than counting on just a one time application.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #17
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Uh Oh, I put the Myco Blast in the Freezer last week - Wonder if it is still Ok if I pull it out?
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #18
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I really don't think that's a lack of nutrition problem.
Could be a toxicity of some kind, maybe due to water? But hard to say.

The water is an interesting thought. I've used the same watering container for years and years. AFAIK, it has never been cleaned out. I do see some "pink stuff" on the walls as well as a lot of lime scale, so time to clean it out. One less variable. As I write this, it is being de-scaled. I'll neutralize it when finished. It may take overnight to finish.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020   #19
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

All of the last batch of seeds were planted today, exactly as planned above. Six varieties in all:
Pervaya Lyubov (sp?)
MatSu Express (the new F9)
Galahad F1
Banana Toes (dwarf)
Pale Perfect Purple
Maglia Rosa
High hopes, especially for MatSu and Galahad F1.

I really expect no issues, since these will go outside after just a few weeks. I do have a gallon jug of 1/3 strength tomato "pink water" mixed up for application starting at about 3 weeks.

Last edited by Greatgardens; May 23, 2020 at 09:32 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote