Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 2, 2006   #1
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Default ID help-please

Anybody know what this is? It's on inside peppers and a few other plants. Seems to be eating tiny bits of leaf surface. It's very tiny-I need a magnifier to see it.

JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2006   #2
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

Hmm...looks like it might be aphids. They get into my peppers every year. You can blast them off with a garden hose every few days to keep them from sucking the life out of your plants, or you can use any number of insecticides, or organic concoctions or whatever you finds that works for you.

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2006   #3
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Probably aphids:

In a quart sprayer put about 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and a tablespoon mild, non-scented, non-antimicrobial dishsoap.....Test on a few leaves....if fine after about 8 hrs spray all plants making sure to get undersides and growing tips....repeat weekly.
Old April 2, 2006   #4
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for responding, but not aphids. I'm all too familiar with them. These are longer and thinner and smaller than aphids.
Old April 2, 2006   #5
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a Greenhouse Thrip nymph. If it is, then insecticidal soap or Lady Bugs should do the trick.

J
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2006   #6
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

John,

Have you ever used any of these biological controls? (thanks to PaulB) http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/thrips.html Thrips does seem to be the correct answer.

Something that would also control spider mites would be very helpful.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2006   #7
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

cdntomato and jt

I think it's you are correct about thrips. Never had them before . Like the idea that ladybugs would eat them. I haven't used any of those controls but I have a friend in Italy who uses Beauveria bassiana for aphids. Have to ask him if he has ever had thrips. I hav'nt had spider mites but another kind which are very difficult to get rid of
Old April 3, 2006   #8
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Like the idea that ladybugs would eat them. I haven't used any of those controls but I have a friend in Italy who uses Beauveria bassiana for aphids.
Thought you had used Lady Bugs successfully before, John. I always associate you with that 'control'. Assume you are referring to controls in jt's link. Let us know how things go.

Great ref, jt!

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2006   #9
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

jennifer

I have used ladybugs for several years for aphids and don't think there is a better answer but never dealt with thrips before. I don't even know where they came from--must have had them and not known and brought them inside on plants??? Does seem like something my little friends would eat though.

John