Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2006   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default need some info ?

Would you that have grown these let me know if these are early or mid-season tomatoes and any other information you could give me would be great.

Giraffe
Victor
Burbank Slicing
Quimbaya
Picardy
Old Brooks

Thanks
Old December 29, 2006   #2
MikeH
Tomatovillian™

Giraffe-Long season....VERY long,lol!They are a keeper tomato that last well into the winter months for those of us that just can't stand to buy supermarket wanna-bees.I never did get a completly ripe one last summer,but picked all before the first frost and stored in a cardboard box in the spare room(cool temp).

They finally started to get to the ripe stage about 2 weeks ago.Flavor?They won't knock your socks off like a summertime tomato would,but in December,not bad...not bad at all .
Old December 30, 2006   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Mike re Giraffe...

Just yesterday I cut the first one open and it was very good, with slightly acidic assertive flavor.
I love Giraffes in the late winter/early spring; they do keep very well and ripen very slowly.

daylilydude,
Sorry I can't help you much with other varieties - I haven't grown them, but there are some descriptions from SSE 2006 YEarbook:

Victor: 67 days, det. plants, regular leaf, small bush, heavy producer of 4-5 oz red globe fruits, an All American Bronze Medal winner, introduced prior to 1955 by Michigan State College

Burbank Slicing: 77 days, det., uniform, round globe orange-red fruits, 6-8 oz, above average yields

Picardy: 80 days, deep red, globe-shaped fruit, smooth and meaty, 6 oz, good flavor, produces until frost, dates from the 1890s

Old Brooks: 75 days, medium round fruit, great flavor, always my first ripe tomato, my favorite for over 20 years, from my neighbor, Leila McClary, Niarada, MT, 1980
70 days, indet., regular leaf, a new favorite, this one survived two blights and came back in the fall with another crop, extremely prolific, medium red round fruits, shoulde be called "Old Faithful", from CV To1

no info about Quimbaya...

Cheers,

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2007   #4
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks MikeH and Tania for your help now i wished i wouldn't have ask they sound very intresting so now i'll have to either make room for them in the big tomato garden or i'll have to make another smaller garden ARRGGGHHHH! My wife has ask me a number of times for a smaller garden up here by the house so she didn't have to walk so far for a tomato so i guess i'll make some brownie points and put one in for her. Thank again for your help!
Old January 1, 2007   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quimbaya is a hybrid supposedly from South America. It looks like a plum or paste type tomato or maybe a saladette.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2007   #6
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Papa Vic I just wonder if it is det or indet. why i'm asking is that i'm thinking about putting it in a 5 gallon bucket along the driveway but i think i just might put that one in my wifes lil garden up here by the house. I call it her little tomato garden but she also wants to put flowers in it she loves fresh cut flowers so i think i'll mix it up a little tomatoes, zinnias, gerbera daisies,and dahlias maybe a marigold or two.