Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 17, 2006   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default TGS Catalog

I still haven't seen page or staple of the TGS catalog. When does it typically come. Although, I have my heirlooms, I still need a few hybrids.
I just love their catalog. Great format and great pictures.

CECIL
Old December 17, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Cecil,

I posted here about two weeks ago and said that Linda was headed out to the midwest to oversee the printing of the catalog. it then goes by trucks to the nearest distributions centers so folks will receive it at different times.

Usually it comes out earlier than this but with her husband, who was an attorney and CPA but also integral to TGS, dying unexpectadly in June, things have been set back a bit. I've tried to help with blurbs, etc., when she asked me to, and I think all is well, just a bit late with the catalog and I guess updating the website.

I don't know about anyones website b'c I hate them with a passion; all of them.
Old December 17, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Yes, it's nice to sit down in an armchair and flip through the glossy catalogs. The SSE catalog is quite nice, even with its limited tomato selection this year.

But TGS is actually one of the best websites in my opinion for quickly finding a picture, as well as Victory Seeds.

Of course the descriptions and praised heaped upon each variety are just as nebulous and fanciful whether you are browsing a website or perusing the dead tree edition.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2006   #4
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. I somehow missed your original info on TGS and Linda's husband. I am sorry to hear that news. I am not sure when I found Tomatoville, so it may have been before I came over from you know where.
I find this forum strangely harder to keep track of posts and have no idea why, but I sure enjoy it. Love the no hassle, no ads and quick loading etc.
Thanks so much for the info!
CECIL
Old December 17, 2006   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn: Oh I see you said you posted 2 weeks ago, I was thinking you said you posted in June. I guess I missed the thread. I don't read all the responses to all the threads, just the threads that I have started to read and responsed too and get follow up notices by email.
You probably posted inside someone else's thread that I never read.

CECIL-who wishes he had time to read them all
Old December 17, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I bring up the forums and then Ctrl-click on each forum that has a tomato next to it. Then I Ctrl-click each topic (thread) that has new messages. I have a tabbed web browser so I end up with 15-20 webpages are open.

If you are idle for more than 15 minutes, all the topics/threads are marked as if you had read them.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old December 18, 2006   #7
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi,
I received my catalog today. Yours should be along soon.
Neat new things in there, Earl's Faux is for sale! and Neves Azorean Red is too.
Remy
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2006   #8
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

You can do almost the same that Feldon recommends without a tabbed web browser with a right click and "Open Link In New Window" in IE. You just let Windows do it's job.
tomakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2006   #9
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

the website has a glitch- the Black tomatoes dont show when you click that page.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2006   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmoth
the website has a glitch- the Black tomatoes dont show when you click that page.
Maybe they're starting to update the site.
I confirm that when you click on Black tomatoes either in the sidebar or the top navbar, it displays page 1 of the Earlies.

Old December 19, 2006   #11
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You mean make your system crash and become unusable?
That is but one of it's functions. AND it can do it WITH a tabbed browser also.
Thanks Bill Gates.
tomakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2006   #12
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Printed catalog came today...YAY!!! 'Scuse me, I've got some reading to do...
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2006   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Got mine today.YAAY!

Surprised at some of the entries...like Chapman. Wasn't expecting it. Is it as prolific as they make it sound?

CECIL
Old December 19, 2006   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden
Got mine today.YAAY!

Surprised at some of the entries...like Chapman. Wasn't expecting it. Is it as prolific as they make it sound?

CECIL
Yes it is Cecil. I think very highly of Chapman, Wes and Red Penna and have been sending them out as freebies with my SSE requests, and as I recall I also listed all three in my recent seed offer here at Tville.

I think you should realize that I'm the source to Linda of many varieties that I think are either outstanding or overlooked or both that I send to both TGS and Sandhill each year.

I don't keep track of what I send but Linda and Glenn do.

And I know that there are varieties that both Linda and Glenn want to list that for one reason or another have not yet been listed due to seed production problems.

Glenn can turn around a variety in one summer and list it but Linda has about a 2 year wait and sometimes longer if there's a glitch someplace along the line.
Old December 19, 2006   #15
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn: I knew the source of Chapman as soon as I saw it, but was more surprised to see it in a commercial catalog like TGS. I think it' s great, but now may have to rearrange a tad

CECIL