Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2018   #1
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 78
Default Tetsukabuto F1 X buttercup

Tormato, did you or anyone plant any of the Tetsukabuto F1 X buttercup I sent. If you did, how were they? I put out two plants and a gopher ate both of them.
Have some more seed so will try again next year.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2018   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyC-5 View Post
Tormato, did you or anyone plant any of the Tetsukabuto F1 X buttercup I sent. If you did, how were they? I put out two plants and a gopher ate both of them.
Have some more seed so will try again next year.


I didn't get to planting any, as I ran out of room, here. Then I ran out of time, by busting up ~500 square feet of sod (by hand) at a neighbors, to start her a garden. By the time I finished that, there was room, but it was then too late to plant.



I think I only gave out a few seeds, as they were not completely dry. Those and the (was it a blue?) pumpkin seeds started to get moldy while I was making up participants packages. So, I held off sending them out.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019   #3
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 78
Default

I put in two plants of the Tetsukabuto F1 x buttercup. One plant had green squash-bottom right in the photo. The other plant grew the orange/green squash on the left. They were OK, but I think I will plant squash that I really like. Like Mooregold and Butternut.
I also had a plant of Blue Doll (F2 ?). It looks more like a Triamble type so think the seed must be crossed. For as big as they are, the meat is not very thick and just tastes OK.
1st photo-orange squash in center is a Moranga, Butternut upper right, Candy Roaster underneath.
2nd photo- Blue Dolls, small orange Gold Nuggets, Butternut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 2019 025.jpg (117.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 10 2019 028.jpg (122.1 KB, 121 views)
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Are you saving seeds of them all?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019   #5
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 78
Default

No, I didn't bag any blossoms and there were too many kinds that may have crossed.
I do have commercial seeds of Moranga and Candy Roaster- I think I may have sent a few to you last MMMM.
If there are some you think might be wanted I can bag flowers next summer. And I will be purchasing seeds for Mooregold.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyC-5 View Post
Tormato, did you or anyone plant any of the Tetsukabuto F1 X buttercup I sent. If you did, how were they? I put out two plants and a gopher ate both of them.
Have some more seed so will try again next year.
Funny coincidence. I found a rogue fruit when I was recently clearing weeds under the asparagus bed. Unfortunately it was rotted at the bottom. It looked to be a very dark orange/red flesh.

I grew MMMM seeds, but I don't remember them labeled as a buttercup cross.
They were dark and gold flecked like the pictures on Pinetree Seeds.
The vines were huge, but over half of the 10 fruits had holes on the bottom which I presume were animal borings. They also had rotten spots where they were sitting on the ground while buttercup had no rot. I gave the first few clean ones away and have two curing in an unused 61 degree bedroom.
I think they will be on the menu next week

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Would you know if I sent you Tetsukabuto F1 seed? I would label it as such.



And, if I sent Tetsukabuto F1 X Lofthouse buttercup (F1), well, the label would be something like that.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2019   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,424
Default

Tormato, I used all the seeds, and I don't have any other swaps for squash. Sometimes I save the empty packet for labeling as I abbreviate a lot during the mad seed starting rush, sometimes I save one seed in a packet for future comparisons. Quite a task to find an empty packet, and no luck so far. I am sure this wasn't a Lofthouse cross. Sometimes I wander over to his other posting site and see what he has come up with. Wild stuff!


I finished the other half of my single fruit last night. I would give ++ preference to grow it again based on taste if it were not so attractive to getting eaten by critters or rotting. Neither problems happened to the adjoining Butternut pollinator. I'll look for a few pics that show the inside.


- Lisa

'
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Tormato, I used all the seeds, and I don't have any other swaps for squash. Sometimes I save the empty packet for labeling as I abbreviate a lot during the mad seed starting rush, sometimes I save one seed in a packet for future comparisons. Quite a task to find an empty packet, and no luck so far. I am sure this wasn't a Lofthouse cross. Sometimes I wander over to his other posting site and see what he has come up with. Wild stuff!


I finished the other half of my single fruit last night. I would give ++ preference to grow it again based on taste if it were not so attractive to getting eaten by critters or rotting. Neither problems happened to the adjoining Butternut pollinator. I'll look for a few pics that show the inside.


- Lisa

'

I prevent rotting by placing the immature squash on top of a piece of pine board or other suitable object. Anything to keep the squash from sitting in wet soil.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,424
Default

This one actually rotted in storage. It is on the bottom stem of the ladder. Of you look closely you can see that strange cone shaped hole that extended to the outside. Of course I missed seeing it before bringing it indoors, but they were at least an inch in diameter on the other squash that I discarded. They holes were almost perfectly round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8743[1].JPG (69.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8464[1].jpg (62.0 KB, 43 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
This one actually rotted in storage. It is on the bottom stem of the ladder. Of you look closely you can see that strange cone shaped hole that extended to the outside. Of course I missed seeing it before bringing it indoors, but they were at least an inch in diameter on the other squash that I discarded. They holes were almost perfectly round.

It wasn't me. I'd leave much larger holes. Sounds like mice/voles.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,424
Default

Umm, soo the holes I am referring to are the tubular cavities about one inch in diameter extending from the skin to the seed cavity, not the spreading round circle.

On another note, duh, I meant bottom step, not stem.
Mice/voles sure preferred this over butternut, which was undamaged.
Either they preferred squash to tomatoes or they didn't like the garlic that was growing up next to the Tetsukabuto F1.

The butternuts were the largest I have ever grown by a longshot. I
ve never gotten more than two or three per season, and smaller too. They were started in a new square of my garden. There was no way to walk in and hand feed with all the vines sprawling, so I blasted them with fertilizer from afar at every visit.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2019   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Umm, soo the holes I am referring to are the tubular cavities about one inch in diameter extending from the skin to the seed cavity, not the spreading round circle.

On another note, duh, I meant bottom step, not stem.
Mice/voles sure preferred this over butternut, which was undamaged.
Either they preferred squash to tomatoes or they didn't like the garlic that was growing up next to the Tetsukabuto F1.

The butternuts were the largest I have ever grown by a longshot. I
ve never gotten more than two or three per season, and smaller too. They were started in a new square of my garden. There was no way to walk in and hand feed with all the vines sprawling, so I blasted them with fertilizer from afar at every visit.

Fertilizer from afar. That's the key! Vining squash set new roots at the nodes (where the leaves are). They don't just root and feed from the main stem.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2019   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,424
Default

And your fertilizer of choice is ..? The vines were happier when they grew off the plastic area but it was later in the season. Do you grow on mulch?
Haven't figured a weed control that allows the rooting too.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2019   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,796
Default

My only choice is a 10/10/10 granulated fertilizer. I use it on squash, corn, and beans, not tomatoes. It's the only thing that I can pinpoint cast at the nodes from not too far away, and where I still can't get close enough to work it in around the vine. Then I spray a bit of water from a hose onto the plants so they don't get fertilizer burn.



The vines grow out into the lawn. A couple of times I've had SVB attack and kill the main stem growing out from the garden bed. But the roots at the nodes kept the rest of the plant alive. Visually, you'd think I planted the squash in the middle of the lawn.



It would be nice to have the space where the entire plant is growing upon rich garden soil.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★