Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 21, 2018   #61
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
These were started on Jan 15th. The plants are growing fast with the heat, we went from winter to almost summer already. 60's at night and high 70's days.
They'll be ready next week. They look strong and beautiful.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #62
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Those are gone already, dropped them off yesterday. I had to go back to pick up the web trays I forgot and about half of my plants were already gone in about 3 hours time. I noticed they also have plants from a nursery but they were tall and leggy, maybe that's why customers wanted those shorter plants. Bonnie's also has a few racks of plants outside the greenhouse but the local plants are cheaper and always sell better.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #63
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Those look good. Keep on plant'n.

Next stop, building a full on seedling house, with straight sides... I cant emphasize how nice it is to not have to stoop over! Mine is around 12 foot tall in the center. Helps get the heat away from ya.

Last edited by FourOaks; February 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #64
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Those are gone already, dropped them off yesterday. I had to go back to pick up the web trays I forgot and about half of my plants were already gone in about 3 hours time. I noticed they also have plants from a nursery but they were tall and leggy, maybe that's why customers wanted those shorter plants. Bonnie's also has a few racks of plants outside the greenhouse but the local plants are cheaper and always sell better.
Not to mention they don't have growth inhibitor on them like the Bonnie Plants do to keep them shelf sized. Like what's wrong with that picture?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #65
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

How much does the market charge all you guys? I read somewhere that the average 6 month price is $500 but I know they charge a daily price if you don't become a full time member...

I inquired about my local market and they said that they haven't finalized the '18 application yet.

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #66
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

So the Market Manager got back to me and last year they charged $370 for the whole season or $40 a day...

I guess that's less than $500 but still seems like alot!

Al
Old March 1, 2018   #67
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

$40 is outrageous! If you get $3 per pound on tomatoes, that's over 13 lbs of tomatoes just to cover the rent. My market raised its price from $6 to $10 and I felt shafted. One market in my area only charges $5 for a grower per month (it is a once per week market). I quit going there because you have to haul your stuff a long way to an indoor, former locomotive blacksmith shop, and then even further to break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
So the Market Manager got back to me and last year they charged $370 for the whole season or $40 a day...

I guess that's less than $500 but still seems like alot!

Al
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #68
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That's $40 dollars for a 10'x10' parking space in a open parking lot!

Al
Old March 1, 2018   #69
bower
Tomatovillian™

Our farmers market has gone the same way... tables up to $40 a day, and it's not even a full day.
Doesn't take many slow Saturdays for vendors to wonder if it's worth it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #70
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Our fee is $25 per day but we can get a discount for paying all at once that makes it $20.

Last edited by BigVanVader; March 1, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #71
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

I certainly feel spoiled. The Market that I started out at and have been at for the last 3 summers, completely free. No charge. The town itself sponsored it. This year Ill be at a new market in another town, weekly fee is simply donation. What ever you feel comfortable with. They encourage something like 10% of your total sales. But, its up to the individual.

I have looked at guidelines of other markets, just to keep up with whats going on, and how I can be in 2 places at once. But the fees are all over the place. Everything from free to about $1000 a month. Just depends on what you want to pay.
Old March 1, 2018   #72
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

So if you decide to pay by the day then the first day is $70 which includes taxes and a "membership fee" for the year, then $40 a day the rest of the season.

You can purchase the season membership at $370 as late as your 3rd day selling there but after that they don't allow you to purchase the seasonal and your charged the daily up to a maximum of $450!

:O
Old March 21, 2018   #73
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

The one here in my little bitty town charges $25 per season. June through October.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #74
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well I imagine the costs to the sponsor have a lot to do with it also, as well as the crowd size they draw. Even in a parking lot, it only takes one slip and fall to wipe you out. They do have to cover their costs just like you do or they start to ask is it worth it, also. The larger ones around here have porta potties they have to buy/rent as well as licensing costs and fees. At 6-10.00/day, how much should they charge to make it worth the while to even hold an event? If they can't draw the crowds to make it worth you spending 20.00 or 25.00 then you won't, and they will fold. That happened to a couple of our local markets. Bigger crowds usually means more work, more porta potties, more clean up, a larger place to hold it... The same issues that apply to the sellers must apply to the organizers. I liked the local plant nursery holding a small one in the evening because I suspect it was low cost or free to sellers and the hope was to get more people to stop and attract customers for the nursery as well. Must not have paid off for them either, because they didn't continue it.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #75
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Rajun.... hows the plant business going? Havent seen an update. Are you buried in orders?