Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old August 6, 2016   #16
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Here are my Black Jacks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1470514723098-1461468759.jpg (618.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 14705147520721177085938.jpg (522.1 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 1470514883870352481020.jpg (439.2 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; August 6, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #17
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

I prune the roots every 2 years. At the least, you should prune every 3 years. Any of you on Figs4fun?
nhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #18
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I am not currently on Figs4fun, but it sounds familiar.

Here are some Figsnotforfun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1471396664443-2049134598.jpg (632.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 1471396716868107127641.jpg (521.6 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; August 16, 2016 at 09:20 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #19
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

At least it kept them away from the tomatoes! That rat is gone now, RIP.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #20
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I have a very dumb question... why after only 1 day after harvest, my figs shrink to half their size? Does it matter that I have them sitting on my counter?
Old August 20, 2016   #21
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I don't notice any shrinkage on mine, even after overnight on the counter. Could it be your variety?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Here are 3 Chicago Hardy figs that I overwintered from last year (bought at Lowes on sale) I picked up another fig variety very early in the season and it is finally leafing out after living outdoors in the garden center thru our cold spring.

Since we went from cold to late summer weather, I didn't know when to jump in and acclimate them to outdoors. Do you think it is worth taking them outside this late in the season. They seem to be happy and producing in a south high-e glass window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indoor figs.JPG (117.0 KB, 179 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've read that it's best to get the plants outside once any danger of frost is past and before they break dormancy. If yours never went dormant, then I'm not sure if they would need acclimating or not. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

As to whether or not you take them out at all, I think it depends on whether or not you want them to go dormant in the winter or if you want to try to keep them going year round. Although I've read many articles that have said they will not produce a good crop if kept indoors.

Once mine dropped all its leaves last fall, it spent the winter wrapped up in a cocoon of row cover fabric topped with a couple of old shirts out in our unheated shed. I think I pulled it out at the start of May and it broke dormancy about the middle of the month. It's been growing like crazy since then. As it's a little lopsided, I pinched the tips out on the taller branches yesterday to let the branches on the shorter side catch up.

And last weekend my dad gifted me rooted cuttings from both his fig tree varieties, so now I have three. These two are descendants from cuttings brought over from Italy over 50 years ago and he has no idea what varieties they are, but one produces black figs and the other green ones.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017   #24
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

I would put them out now. Start off with a week in full shade, a week in partial shade, then on to sun. Potted figs produce best with a period of dormancy, especially in the NE.

I pinched all my figs about 3 weeks ago and they're pushing a lot of figs right now. I have about 50 potted figs that are about 2-3 years old, so hopefully they keep it up - good weather, no pests/birds, whatever.
Old June 27, 2017   #25
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I've read that it's best to get the plants outside once any danger of frost is past and before they break dormancy. If yours never went dormant, then I'm not sure if they would need acclimating or not. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

As to whether or not you take them out at all, I think it depends on whether or not you want them to go dormant in the winter or if you want to try to keep them going year round. Although I've read many articles that have said they will not produce a good crop if kept indoors.

Once mine dropped all its leaves last fall, it spent the winter wrapped up in a cocoon of row cover fabric topped with a couple of old shirts out in our unheated shed. I think I pulled it out at the start of May and it broke dormancy about the middle of the month. It's been growing like crazy since then. As it's a little lopsided, I pinched the tips out on the taller branches yesterday to let the branches on the shorter side catch up.

And last weekend my dad gifted me rooted cuttings from both his fig tree varieties, so now I have three. These two are descendants from cuttings brought over from Italy over 50 years ago and he has no idea what varieties they are, but one produces black figs and the other green ones.
Cool - figs with family history!
Old June 27, 2017   #26
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako1974 View Post
Cool - figs with family history!

I know! Both excited and nervous as dad does not readily gift things he's passionate about. He has several potted and a couple of in-ground trees and I guess he's decided someone needs to be trained to eventually take over their care as he is now in his mid-80's.

The Hardy Chicago tree is my practice run and so far I guess I'm doing okay as it's showing signs of fruiting. The two cuttings are also growing like weeds.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #27
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

Just down the road from me is our go-to pizza place. It was reopened a few years ago by a Sicilian guy, really nice guy. I just noticed a huge fig growing against the wall. Next time I stop in I'm going to ask him if he has a story, too.

Hardy Chicago is an excellent fig. They produce really well and the fruit is really good.
Old June 28, 2017   #28
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
I planted what was labeled a Brown Turkey Fig three years ago, have pruned it back some each winter and it grows into an enormous bush by late summer...but no figs, not a single bud that even looks like a fig! Any ideas on why it is not producing fruit? The plant appears healthy, green large leaves and grows like crazy. There are no other fig trees around it so it is isolated.

Crepe Myrtles (large) in the same bed are growing well but not blooming like they did several years ago. Could this be a soil/nutrient issue of some sort? I am in zone 7b.
I think some varieties only produce fruit on wood grown the year before. Maybe what you prune off is what would have produced fruit? Brown turkey fig is not a variety that needs pollination to produce fruit. Vigorous leafy growth with no fruit makes me think maybe you have too much nitrogen in your soil? Do you fertilize the tree?
Old June 30, 2017   #29
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

I purchased 2 Celeste which are supposed to be good for my area. I have learned if I do not keep them well watered (daily) the figs drop. If the plant becomes stressed for any reason it drops its fruit. I am hoping to have figs.. oh and I am glad to learn that Celeste is a closed eye parthenocarpic variety, which means it will not have fig wasps.
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #30
Dak
Tomatovillian™

The first tree I put in the ground when we bought a house was a Mission fig. I babied that tree so much, huge, $50 hole, amendments galore, then, it finally gets going and it froze nearly to the ground. Keeps coming back stronger and stronger, no frost damage at all the last few years. I've stopped babying it.

Dak is offline   Reply With Quote