Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2011   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default question for you hot climate gardeners

Hi,
An average summer day in Massachusetts might have a high in the upper 80s. Recently it's been in the 90s, and I've noticed that some of my tomato plants look wilted during the day, but recover at night without being watered.

I'm just wondering what it's like to grow tomatoes where it's normal to have days in the 90s for long stretches of the summer - do your plants always look wilted during the day? Or do they get acclimated?
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #2
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

It can get to 120 where I'm at. At 110 we say, "Man it's hot today!". If I don't shade my tomatoes most will just die. Yes, every day they get to looking like they need water right now, but in the morning they look so nice again.
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #3
jhoganaz
Tomatovillian™

Default Low-Desert Garden

I am in the low-desert in the Phoenix area, with heat between 103 to 110 at the peak of day. I installed 40% shade cloth over my tomatoes and water them at 8:00am and 2:00pm for 10 min. with automatic system. I don't think they are setting new tomatoes, but those already set are still producing. This morning I picked 2 1/2# of mixed tomatoes.
Middle-Ceylon and Paul Robeson (a little small, need to fertilize) and lots of cherries: top-Snow White, right-Black Cherries, bottom-Yellow Pear, left-Red Pear
I had none of this last year when I watered once a day and had no shade screen. That has made all of the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TomatoCrop-7-12-11.bmp (510.8 KB, 23 views)
jhoganaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
Hi,
An average summer day in Massachusetts might have a high in the upper 80s. Recently it's been in the 90s, and I've noticed that some of my tomato plants look wilted during the day, but recover at night without being watered.

I'm just wondering what it's like to grow tomatoes where it's normal to have days in the 90s for long stretches of the summer - do your plants always look wilted during the day? Or do they get acclimated?
Here in KY they do wilt and come back if not watered daily. I usually water them daily or every other day for the first 2 weeks till they have set deeper roots. Then they seem to handle it fine and do not wilt any more.
Old July 13, 2011   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since it is usually very hot here from May through October I guess the plants just get used to the heat. Mine rarely wilt unless sick or under watered.

I give my young plants the minimum amount of water until they reach the blooming stage and then I water them very heavily every three or four days if I don't get any rain. Once I get a nice fruit set I will cut back on the amount of water to improve the taste but I will still water on about the same schedule.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote