Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2011   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this Cuor di Bui ???

Harvested a bunch between today and yesterday. Beautiful pick color (to the eye). Just thought I'd try to get Carolyn to confirm the variety. I marked the weight of the larger ones on them. Taste Test coming real soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (326.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.jpg (125.6 KB, 53 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Harvested a bunch between today and yesterday. Beautiful pick color (to the eye). Just thought I'd try to get Carolyn to confirm the variety. I marked the weight of the larger ones on them. Taste Test coming real soon.
Ted, I am wearing my close up glasses but they look pink to me as well whereas Cuor di Bui is red. Pink fruits are not Cuor di Bue.

I can only tell if a variety is heart shaped by looking at a side view or a cut thru the middle and the picture on the right suggests that most but not all are indeed heart shaped. However, heart shaped pink fruits are not Cuor di Bui.
Old July 14, 2011   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that's why I asked the question. I will do the skin test when I cut them tomorrow, and post a pix of that as well. Whatever this turns out to be, it is definitely a heart. All of the fruit exhibit the obvious heart shape. I'll show some sliced ones tomorrow.

I can say that these are VERY tasty. I already had a few of the early ones that were quite small, but the taste was excellent.

Thanks, Carolyn. I knew you could recognize the real deal.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 14, 2011   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

?...Tatiana's site lists Cuor Di Bue as a pink heart.. Cuore Di Toro is a red heart, though...and she lists Cuore Di Bue as a pear-shaped red.

I'm growing Cuor Di Bue this year and was expecting it to be pink.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #5
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

According to Seeds from Italy, it should have deep red flesh. If I remember correctly, I think this is one of those tomatoes where various seed companies have been selling the wrong seeds. This is why we need that thread on "problem tomatoes" (those with a good deal of seed being sold incorrectly).
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #6
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Picked several ripe Cuor di Bue ( Seeds of Italy) today and they are all red. Blemish-free. Heart shaped, NOT pear shaped.
Haven't tried them yet.
LarryD
Old July 14, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
?...Tatiana's site lists Cuor Di Bue as a pink heart.. Cuore Di Toro is a red heart, though...and she lists Cuore Di Bue as a pear-shaped red.

I'm growing Cuor Di Bue this year and was expecting it to be pink.

kath

In the 2011 SSE YEarbook Tania lists Cuore di Bui as a red heart and cites her seed Source as Franchi in 2003. She doesn't list Cuor Di Bui in the pink section at all.

If it has Bui or Bue at the end it's the Italian language one and if it has Toro at the end it's the Spanish language one and spellings are all over the place and although they all translate out to heart of the bull they are not all the same as to taste and the toros can be listed in either the pink or red section of the SSE YEarbook and the bui's the same.

So it's one big mess.

Right now I'm looking at the 2008 YEarbook and Cuor di Bui and Cuore de Toro are listed right next to each other as red hearts, bue by Tania and some others and toro by three others and only one indicates a seed source and that was Totally Tomatoes, where there have been lots of errors of different varieties.

Get the picture?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Cuor_Di_Bue

Tania lists Cuore di Bue as red hearts, but the above one "Cuor" is not listed by anyone in the pink section of the 2011, although there are listings in German for yet another heart of the bull, seeds from Geza.

So if you look at a Google search you'll find Cuor with either toro or bui and also Cuore with either toro or bui.

As I recall my Bui ( Bue) seeds were brought back to me many years ago from a person who was in Italy and at the same time seeds for Teton de Venus were also brought back and I've always known Bui as a red heart.

I think it's the man who has the TV show called Bizarre Foods who says if it looks good eat it, ahem, so I don't know how to untangle this mess.

I also know that two years ago Baker Creek wasn't the only one offering wrong Seeds for German red Strawberry, Territorial and Reimers were doing the same and what they were showing was really, apparently Cuor something or other Bui or Bue that was a large red piriform ( pear shaped). When Green Zone at BC traced it back it turned out that the Italian suppliers were sendfing the wrong variety. Apparently the current Italian sources don't pay that much attention to variety names and traits.

So take your chances on this one, if you will.

There's also many listings for generic Bull's Heart ones around as well and a couple of Heart of the Buffalo ones in addition.

Ted, I almost forgot to say that it' sbest to use a known red and a known pink as controls when determining the color of the epidermis, at least I think that's important.
Old July 14, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

So it's one big mess.

Get the picture?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Cuor_Di_Bue
To make it more of a mystery, my seeds came from a trade. Well, the fruits are hearts, anyway.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here's some pictures of the insides and skin. This tom is definitely pink. The pictures show a skin section of this tom beside a skin section from a Large Red Cherry. The LRC is definitely orange compared to the clear skin on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CuordiBui4.JPG (302.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg CuordiBui5.JPG (225.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CuordiBui6.JPG (292.2 KB, 29 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch