Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old June 28, 2010   #1
beezneez
Tomatovillian™

Default Neves Azorean?

Does anybody have more information about Neves Azorean Red besides the fact that Anthony Neves brought the seeds back from the Azores island? Who was Anthony? Is he related to the Neves living in the Azores? Which island did they come from? Did he bring any other varieties or vegetables back?
beezneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezneez View Post
Does anybody have more information about Neves Azorean Red besides the fact that Anthony Neves brought the seeds back from the Azores island? Who was Anthony? Is he related to the Neves living in the Azores? Which island did they come from? Did he bring any other varieties or vegetables back?
I gave you a complete answer when you asked the question wheree you posted in the Town Hall to introduce yourself.

And I did so b'c I'm the person who initially obtained the seeds and introduced others to this wonderful variety.

In any event it wouldn't be considered a Legacy variety b'c it hasn't been known that long, but the info is in the thread you started to introduce yourself.

I gave you all the information I have and noted that the specific island he came from isn't known and it's only known that he brought the seeds with him for what we now know as NAR.

I hope that helps as well as the long other post I did for you.
Old June 29, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn for introducing NAR to the rest of us. It is a terrific tomato, great taste, good size, good disease tolerance and also the most beautiful red tomato I have ever grown. If you know of any others like NAR I would love to try growing them and see how they do down here.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2010   #4
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

I'm with b54red on saying that NAR is a fabulous mater. I ate my first one yesterday. It's a beautiful, fantastic tasting mater. Picked my second one today. I t weighed 1 pound 6 ounces and will ripen to a beautiful red color.

I'm really enjoying growing heirloom maters. What a life!!

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Thank you Carolyn for introducing NAR to the rest of us. It is a terrific tomato, great taste, good size, good disease tolerance and also the most beautiful red tomato I have ever grown. If you know of any others like NAR I would love to try growing them and see how they do down here.
Other large red fruited beefsteak varieties that I think are pretty darn good would include the following:

Russian Bogatyr ( the indet one)
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Cuostralee
Red Penna
Chapman
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red ( not jumbo)
OTV Brandywine

.... to name a few and not in any particular order.

And if only seeds for the real Rostova, aka Sunset Red Horizon, were available, which they aren't right now, I definitely would add Rostova to the list. I sent the last of my true Rostova seeds to Linda at TGS b'c what she was listing was the wrong one that TF is also offering which is a heart and true Rostova in a great large red beefsteak. So hopefully Linda was able to germinate those seeds and sometime in the future true Rostova might be available again.
Old July 1, 2010   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again Carolyn. I've got a Chapman that I put out in the garden only six weeks ago and it already has some small fruit on it; but I don't know how it will fare in the heat planted so late. I tried Red Penna but it was one of those varieties that gave me no germination so will have to order them for next year. Coustralee has been a total flop down here for me. It seems to have no resistance to the diseases that are so prevalent around here if it's not fusarium then they seem to attract thrips which give them TSWV. So far I have been unable to get a tomato off of one. The others I have not tried but will check on the availability of the seed for next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote