Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 4, 2012   #1
home_grown
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone used Yum Yum Mix 2-2-1???

Thanks to info from posters here, I have ordered some fish/seaweed and seacom pgr from Saltwater Farms but I also ordered quite a bit of Yum Yum Mix for my high desert garden. This year I will be growing quite a few tomato plants in fabric containers as well and planned to incorporate the YYM into the garden soil and also the potting mix and also foliar feed all them with the fish and seaweed products. Below are the ingredients of the YYM. I'd like to know if this product sounds good to you more knowledgeable growers or whether I should forget it for the tomtoes and get Tomato Tone or something like that. Here's the info I got off the site...

Yum Yum Mix is an all-purpose fertilizer and soil conditioner. It is a premium blend of organic and natural alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, greensand, kelp meal, planters II, rock phosphate, humate and dry molasses. Yum Yum Mix is a rich source of major nutrient elements. Earthworms and soil micro-organisms respond to this natural banquet by breaking down minerals and organic matter into available nutrients for your plants. Yum Yum Mix is natural, organic and completely safe for family, pets, wildlife and everything you grow. It is free of animal products, petrochemicals, and sewage sludge. Vegetarian approved - no blood, no bones. Yum Yum Mix improves soil tilth, moisture retention, plant vigor, and stress resistance. Used regularly, it helps create a balanced pH and a naturally fertile soil. Perfect for growing all annuals, perennials, vegetables, lawns, trees and shrubs.
Alfalfa Meal: Nitrogen; Vitamins-A, B, E, carotene, thiamine, biotin, pantothenic acid, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, choline; 16 amino acids, co-enzymes, sugars, starches, protein fiber
Cottonseed Meal: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium
Kelp Meal: Nitrogen; Potassium; Vitamins-A, B, B2 , C, calcium, pantothenate, niacin, folic acid; minerals-barium, boron, calcium, cobalt, copper, fluorine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, sodium, strontium, sulfur, zinc; 17 amino acids
Greensand: Iron, Potassium, Silicate, Phosphorus, 30 trace elements
Rock Dust: Calcium, Sulfur, Magnesium, Boron, Cobalt
Rock Phosphate: Phosphorus, Calcium, Trace Elements
Humate: Salts of Humic Acid - improve soil characteristics and aids in releasing other nutrients to plants in usable forms
Dry Molasses: Carbohydrates, Sugars, Trace Elements - feeds and attracts beneficial soil organisms

This is the first year I will be growing so many plants, so now I'm starting to worry whether I will be doing the right thing for them. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!!!
home_grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2012   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a good, complete all-purpose fertilizer. The ingredients are excellent. It's "low-test" which, depending on the application rates, may be just fine. The only drawback is that I generally look for a bit more potassium in a tomato/pepper fertilizer. Western soils generally have adequate potassium, so if you used this for in-ground plantings it would be fine. Otherwise, for container gardening, I'd supplement the potassium.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2012   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget to inoculate your plants with Myco's on plantout. MycoGrow Soluable from Fungi.com should do nicely. Most of the ingredients in Yum Yum are slow release so they should last awhile before being depleted. When fruit set starts you might want to supplement your ferts with something a little higher in Potassium as 41 mentioned. Ami
Old March 6, 2012   #4
home_grown
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for your responses and suggestions.
Linda

Last edited by home_grown; March 6, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: plural
home_grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #5
hoping4tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have used Yum Yum Mix with great success! I used it on vegetables and perennials. I even used it at my brother's house, which at the time had very heavy clay soil. It made his beds amazing too! Really great stuff!
hoping4tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_grown View Post
Thanks to info from posters here, I have ordered some fish/seaweed and seacom pgr from Saltwater Farms but I also ordered quite a bit of Yum Yum Mix for my high desert garden. This year I will be growing quite a few tomato plants in fabric containers as well and planned to incorporate the YYM into the garden soil and also the potting mix and also foliar feed all them with the fish and seaweed products. Below are the ingredients of the YYM. I'd like to know if this product sounds good to you more knowledgeable growers or whether I should forget it for the tomtoes and get Tomato Tone or something like that. Here's the info I got off the site...

Yum Yum Mix is an all-purpose fertilizer and soil conditioner. It is a premium blend of organic and natural alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, greensand, kelp meal, planters II, rock phosphate, humate and dry molasses. Yum Yum Mix is a rich source of major nutrient elements. Earthworms and soil micro-organisms respond to this natural banquet by breaking down minerals and organic matter into available nutrients for your plants. Yum Yum Mix is natural, organic and completely safe for family, pets, wildlife and everything you grow. It is free of animal products, petrochemicals, and sewage sludge. Vegetarian approved - no blood, no bones. Yum Yum Mix improves soil tilth, moisture retention, plant vigor, and stress resistance. Used regularly, it helps create a balanced pH and a naturally fertile soil. Perfect for growing all annuals, perennials, vegetables, lawns, trees and shrubs.
Alfalfa Meal: Nitrogen; Vitamins-A, B, E, carotene, thiamine, biotin, pantothenic acid, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, choline; 16 amino acids, co-enzymes, sugars, starches, protein fiber
Cottonseed Meal: Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium
Kelp Meal: Nitrogen; Potassium; Vitamins-A, B, B2 , C, calcium, pantothenate, niacin, folic acid; minerals-barium, boron, calcium, cobalt, copper, fluorine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, sodium, strontium, sulfur, zinc; 17 amino acids
Greensand: Iron, Potassium, Silicate, Phosphorus, 30 trace elements
Rock Dust: Calcium, Sulfur, Magnesium, Boron, Cobalt
Rock Phosphate: Phosphorus, Calcium, Trace Elements
Humate: Salts of Humic Acid - improve soil characteristics and aids in releasing other nutrients to plants in usable forms
Dry Molasses: Carbohydrates, Sugars, Trace Elements - feeds and attracts beneficial soil organisms

This is the first year I will be growing so many plants, so now I'm starting to worry whether I will be doing the right thing for them. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has to offer!!!
What size,how much cost,local or shipping?Looks good enough to invest in.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #7
hoping4tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I used to order from High Country Gardens. Very few places seem to sell it. We have a new store called Organics OKC here in Oklahoma and they are carrying all of their products. I will still use Yum Yum Mix, but will try their Tomato and Vegetable Food and Earthworm Castings as well next spring. I had amazing success with Yum Yum Mix and Peruvian Seabird Guano. I was just trying to use up some products and skipped these two this year, I used my Neptune's, which didn't fail, but it wasn't the same as before. Going back to what works! The $20 ish dollar size will last a full season in several beds! Maybe you will get lucky and find local! I'm so delighted with our new store...It's saving a ton of shipping!
hoping4tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote