Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 13, 2015   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default hugelculture experiment

A couple of years ago I heard about hugelculture and decided to make a small modified test. Instead of a pile of logs covered in soil ,I dug a hole , filled it with wood, and made a raised bed over it. Seems to be growing well but recently it smells like sauteing mushrooms when the weather is humid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9313.jpg (136.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9314.jpg (135.1 KB, 96 views)
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #2
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Nice.

I like hugelkultur but if you screw it up it's screwed up pretty badly. I did one right and one wrong. I'm having similar results out of the one I did right. The one I did wrong is a desert basically.

I actually use the technique I did to make the bad hugel bed to intentionally create a nitrogen desert to kill weeds. I wiped out a serious Canada thistle infestation when I tested it. Nothing grows there
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #3
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

HydroExplorer: How did you screw up the desertified one?
Old June 13, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If conditions are right and you have a few million years to spare you will have coal.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #5
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
HydroExplorer: How did you screw up the desertified one?
I put wood chips under compost but on top of wood. It'll get better. I'm going to inoculate it with oyster mushrooms to make it spongy (in theory) and then feed it nitrogen to theoretically activate the mushrooms.

The moral of the story is that you never want to put wood chips throughout a bed. On top is good. Within is real bad
Old June 14, 2015   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
I put wood chips under compost but on top of wood. It'll get better. I'm going to inoculate it with oyster mushrooms to make it spongy (in theory) and then feed it nitrogen to theoretically activate the mushrooms.

The moral of the story is that you never want to put wood chips throughout a bed. On top is good. Within is real bad
Mix the wood chips with manure and soil. Not only does the manure provide nitrogen, it also will explode the methanotroph community in the hugelkultur bed. Methanotrophs "eat" methane and as a side effect also fix nitrogen as a waste product, which of course is absorbed by the wood creating more decay. That's how a proper hugelkultur bed works when in balance. of course over that mix then plain fertile soil.

It is possible to put ramial wood chips within a hugelkultur bed, but never underestimate the amount of manure required if you decide to do that.

PS adding nitrogen directly doesn't work as well, because it reduces your methanotroph community instead of exploding it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; June 14, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #7
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Thx for the tip. I haven't put nitrogen in the bed yet. I'm waiting for my oyster mushroom starts to be ready. My plan was to sew oyster mushrooms into the wood because they break wood down into that slimy water-holding wood. I was also going to use comfrey leaves as a nitrogen source but I was thinking I would add that topically.

I don't have a source of manure. I live in a suburb that isn't near farms. I guess I do have 2 coworkers that have horses. Maybe I can work something out. Organize a "bring poo to work" day

Another thing I was thinking of doing was to just have the township bring a few truckloads of leaf mulch and just bury the bed entirely. That isn't huglkultur at that point. It's a dead bed so that might just be my best option.
Old June 14, 2015   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
Thx for the tip. I haven't put nitrogen in the bed yet. I'm waiting for my oyster mushroom starts to be ready. My plan was to sew oyster mushrooms into the wood because they break wood down into that slimy water-holding wood. I was also going to use comfrey leaves as a nitrogen source but I was thinking I would add that topically.

I don't have a source of manure. I live in a suburb that isn't near farms. I guess I do have 2 coworkers that have horses. Maybe I can work something out. Organize a "bring poo to work" day

Another thing I was thinking of doing was to just have the township bring a few truckloads of leaf mulch and just bury the bed entirely. That isn't huglkultur at that point. It's a dead bed so that might just be my best option.
I never tried comfrey in a hugelkultur bed as a "green manure". It conceivably could work.

I have used ramial wood chips with horse manure. That certainly worked.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #9
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Well I will certainly trust your experience. I really like hugelkultur but I have only done these 2 beds. One worked, one didn't. I really like the bed that worked though. I don't need to fertilize, water or any of that. Lovin it