Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 23, 2015   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Smile My yearly PYO plug

Sometimes I wonder why there are not more 'pick your own' farms commenting here. Kikaida's recent posting about farm markets pushed me to start this thread. In this 5 mile area there are now 4 orchards, 2 berry farms, and 3 vegetable farms all PYO. PYO solves the problems of 'where is it grown', freshness, labor of harvesting, cost of transportation, and some costs of selling. Tomatoes and sweet corn are the latest items added by my son and myself. We are competitors. It has taken several years to develop the vegetable end, but together we should sell all we can grow on about 1 acre total of tomatoes. I have done the picking and delivering, and picking and setting up a stand. Marketing them as PYO makes me much happier. Hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a great idea Hank! My uncle did this too, when I was younger.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I don't do it mainly because I would need to buy insurance to do it.
Old June 26, 2015   #4
hank
Tomatovillian™

Anybody go to a PYO? How about a tomato PYO? What would you expect to pay for a pound of PYO tomatoes? I have been getting 1$. Sounds light, I know, but it is so easy. I remember a time when I would leave a bag of tomatoes on every house's front porch of our street. Now customers follow our facebook as we direct to come pick and buy. All things considered, tomatoes are fairly easy to grow. I know, because I can grow them. I also know PYO is an easy way to sell them. Hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote