Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 28, 2012   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 garden pics

I started the tomato and other vegetable seeds some time ago. I harvested a few tomatoes from my Nyagous and Rutgers plants that I put in ground late last year. These plants started struggling with powdery mildew however I didn't treat them since I didn't expect much from them. In terms of taste, I can say that Nyagous' fruits were slightly salty (something that I didn't experience with other blacks before) and Rutgers fruit was bland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NyagousRutgers.jpg (38.1 KB, 285 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Now those are BLACK!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Here are some new pics (can anyone tell me how to display picture labels right below the pictures so that I won't have to write down the labels separately?):
Pic 1, 2, 3: Paul Robeson that I put in the ground late last year. This plant has lots of flowers and nice fruits on it as you can see from the pictures.
Pic 4: Tom Thumb pea. This is a beautiful plant. I purchased the seeds from Seed Savers Exchange.
Pic 5: Goliath broccoli finally producing some broccoli.
Pic 6: Tomato seedlings.
Pic 7: Rosso Sicilian seedlings (pot in the sort of middle of the first row). I am showing this because the seedlings are beautiful, leaves have smoother ends and are wider.
Pic 8: Mary Washington asparagus growing (planted as crowns).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson.jpg (241.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson2.jpg (230.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson 3.jpg (289.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Tom Thumb Pea.jpg (292.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Goliath Broccoli.jpg (211.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Seedlings.jpg (298.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Rosso Sicilian.jpg (319.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Asparagus.jpg (344.8 KB, 147 views)
Old February 6, 2012   #4
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I also have another Paul Robeson plant which I planted next to other Paul Robeson that I showed in the entry above. Both plants were planted at the same time, received same fertilizers (I added crab shells in the soil, after the plant started flowering I also added tomato-tone and watered the plants with seaweed solution couple of times, and sprayed the leaves with worm castings solution). While the Paul Robeson I am showing here also has fruits and tons of flowers, leaves at the top of the plant don't look very healthy to me and it hasn't grown as vigorously as the other Paul Robeson plant.

One problem I am having with the raised beds is that the invasive plant roots (I am guessing these are the roots of the trees) that I have to clean up at the end of every growing season and before I transplant new seedlings (roots are shown in the picture below). Beside the fact that removing these roots are very time-consuming and a pain in the neck, could they also be choking the roots of the vegetables and in this case my Paul Robeson plant I am showing the picture of?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Other Paul Robeson.jpg (219.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Other Paul Robeson2.jpg (230.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Roots.jpg (197.5 KB, 89 views)
Old February 14, 2012   #5
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I have been using a composter since early 2011 to make my own compost. You can see the composter and the product of one year of composting below. I am excited to see if this compost will make any difference in the garden this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Composter.jpg (182.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Compost.jpg (218.3 KB, 125 views)
Old February 25, 2012   #6
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Some more pics from the garden... I just picked a 7.7 oz of Paul Robeson tomato. It tastes delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kale Pixie Goliath.jpg (331.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Malabar.jpg (333.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson1.jpg (335.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson2.jpg (328.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson sliced.jpg (209.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Solly Beiler Green Finger.jpg (348.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Tom Thumb.jpg (282.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Snowball.jpg (233.7 KB, 86 views)
Old February 25, 2012   #7
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! That Paul Robeson is making me jealous.

Thanks for sharing!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #8
salix
Tomatovillian™

And I am envying the bucketful of brassicas! Thanks for sharing, it will be another 2 months before I can plant my cabbage seeds.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #9
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Taryn and Salix, thanks much. I hope you both have a nice harvest this year. I also have spared one of the beds for other brassicas to narrow down my next year list. In this bed I have Napa, Savoy, New Jersey, Cour di Bue, Tete Noire cabbage, white kohlrabi, Purple of Sicily and Giant of Naples cauliflower, and De Cicco broccoli (first picture). Additionally I have 5 Long Island Brussels sprouts seedlings that I will grow in containers.

I have a problem with the brassica bed (second picture). Is this some sort of a rust or mildew? I sprayed the plants with copper-based Espoma fungicide. Any experience with this product?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brassica bed.jpg (415.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Disease.jpg (383.2 KB, 60 views)
Old February 26, 2012   #10
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

I always buy broccoli seeds with the intention to plant my own, because it is my all time favorite vegetable. But, I always get turned off with other planters comments about how broccoli is basically infused with thousands of worms, while growing, and harvesting. So, I have yet to even try my hand at growing it. But, I see no pest damage on your broccoli Chance, what is your secret?

TIA

Melissa
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #11
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Chance, that looks like Downy Mildew, look at the undersides of the leaves for white/gray fuzzy spots, that is where it starts. You won't see those white/gray dead spots on the top of the leaves until later when the fungus eats through. If that is what it is, then the copper fungicide should work, you can also try Neem Oil or a 10% milk solution. Make sure you spray the undersides of the leaves.

Melissa, you only need one thing to handle those pesky cabbage worms. Regular applications of BT.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #12
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Better still, go to Joanne's Fabric, and get some bridal veil tulle. It comes in different widths. I use the 108" wide to cover my beds before the moths arrive in the spring. Costs $3/yard. Does the trick nicely.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #13
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Melissa, I haven't had a serious problem with cabbage worms so far but for tomato plants I always use BT to get rid of the worms so I would take Ray's advice on cabbage worms. One issue with my -currently- brassica bed (shown in the picture in my previous post) is that there is something wrong with the soil in this bed. I think somehow seedlings that I plant in this bed gets disease easily.

Ray, thanks for your recommendation. I have another question: Do you think if I throw the soil in this bed away and replace it with fresh amendments, would it help to fight with diseases? I applied Actinovate in the soil and GreenCure on the plants. I will see if it helps.
Old February 27, 2012   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Downy Mildew is very prevalent in the environment and it is wind dispersed, so keep your soil. If anything mulch your bed with compost, that might help enhance the effectiveness of the Actinovate on the ground.
It's an oomycete like Late Blight on Tomatoes and Potatoes except its spores have thick walls and can overwinter on infected plant debris even in cold climates. The different species of Downy Mildew are plant specific, so the species that attacks Brassicas is different from the species that attacks Cucurbits or some other plant family. It thrives in wet, humid environments which I'm sure you've got down there.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #15
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

This is very useful information and that's right, it's always humid and wet here. I am also trying to improve the soil quality/drainage ability of this bed. One comparison: I have a 6 ft x 6 ft bed not far from this bed. No aphids on the plants in that bed + even when I have mildew, it is a lot less aggressive. So on top of the fact that downy mildew is dispersed with wind, does the quality of the soil have an impact on disease+pest attack?

Another example to the disease issues I had in this bed: Last year I had problems with growing peppers, too. You can see some pics at this link: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20161.