Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old November 10, 2015   #31
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ginny, I made holes about 1-1.5 foot deep than made a hill above it as well. Worked just fine.
I've done 2 ft always. I wonder if i could get away with 1 ft?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They look really healthy Ginny. I've never topped pepper plants. I'll have to try it on some this coming year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #33
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They look really healthy Ginny. I've never topped pepper plants. I'll have to try it on some this coming year.
I'm doing the same this year for the first time and I must say I really like it so far. The trick is to only top them once they have a good root system formed so that all that energy gets pumped into the side shoots which then grow nice and fast.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #34
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
I'm doing the same this year for the first time and I must say I really like it so far. The trick is to only top them once they have a good root system formed so that all that energy gets pumped into the side shoots which then grow nice and fast.
uploadfromtaptalk1447258423294.jpg

Picture of my peppadew above.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #35
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Your little garden is looking really good Ginny. Nice healthy plants. I love to see pictures of gardens that are still going at it this time of year.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #36
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ginny!

I'm having some disease issues right now, but I'm going to take samples to the extension office to find out for sure what I have so I can work on fixing it!

I will post an update after I found out what the issues are.

Thank you for posting... :-)

Ginny
Old December 22, 2015   #37
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So I haven't posted in a while because my impossible garden finally lived up to it's name! It was bound to happen at some point with all the disease and pest pressure we have in Florida. My plants were infected at an early age with Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus (TYLCV) which is spread by the silverleaf whitefly and is deadly to the plant. Every plant was infected and I had to pull about 30 tomato plants, 9 pepper plants, a handful of cilantro plants, basil, sugar ann snap peas, a dozen small petunias, and finally Kale which I mistakenly thought was a type of lettuce but belongs to the cabbage family which the whiteflies love.

I bought 30 new sticky fly traps and put them out everywhere (my yard looks like an advertisement for yellow stickies that you write notes on when you look at it from a distance). I have these yellow sticky fly traps hanging over every SWC whether it has something growing in it or is just a pile of potting mix. I can finally see hardly any white flies around anymore. I pulled up everything they like and put traps at every turn so hopefully they either got stuck on a trap or moved on down the road... :-)

Yesterday I started my seeds for spring and my list is below. I started some early season (so hopefully I can get some tomatoes before the disease kicks in again if it does), some hearts (had them on my list to try for sauce), some disease resistant ones, and some just because I like them. I know you don't have to, but I am replacing the potting mix in every container and I also purchases 8 new Earthboxes (free shipping!).

Early - ish season tomatoes
Black Cherry
Stupice
Jaune Flamme
Ambrosia Red
Painted Pink
Azoychka
Eva Purple Ball
Jetsetter
Bush Beefsteak
Paul Robeson
PBTD
Lucky Tiger - 4 versions from Fred Hempel

Hearts
Anna Russian
Grightmires Pride
Sgt Peppers
Brad's Black Heart

For Taste regardless of anything else
Not Purple Strawberry
Big Cheef
Margret Curtain
Surpriz
4 crosses from a friend from another forum

Disease Resistance
Skyway F1 Resistant to TYLCV and TMV
Charger F1 Resistant to TYLCV
Champion II Resistant to TYLCV
Kumato - not sure if it is resistant but did well in Kurt's garden

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; December 22, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old December 22, 2015   #38
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Go Ginny, go!!!
Please do not give up. You can do it, girl.

BTW did you try diatomaceous earth on them? I would.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015   #39
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I just bought some diatomaceous earth a couple of days ago for an ant problem (not related to the garden). How should I use it in the garden?

Ginny
Old December 23, 2015   #40
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Spray generous amount on leaves. Helps with humidity issue as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #41
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

My garden is starting to make a come back! I hope it lasts. It was in really bad shape from all of the pests and bugs and diseases that hit it but I hope I am making some strides as basil, cilantro and peppers are starting to grow again rather than rot or shrivel away. Too soon to know if the tomatoes will do well yet. The yellow sticky fly traps have been replaced already this season because they were so thick with bugs there wasn't room for more. And the white powdery stuff is food grade diatomaceous earth. I have done lots of other things as well to try to get the garden back in shape for growing healthy plants again... :-) Wish me luck in 2016!!

Pimiento Red Peppers

Peppers in the ground and a tomato plant in the ground. These are the two holes in the ground that I have been developing over the last couple of years with fish carcases and lots of other good stuff. Also a view of the intracoastal right off our back yard... :-)

An old SWC with pepper plants a black cherry plant and some rainbow swiss chard.

Cilantro babies. Hopefully this pot will flourish with them as we love cilantro.

Basil... we don't use as much basil and it's easier to transplant than cilantro so will probably transplant a few of these and thin the rest so I can put a tomato plant in this pot.

Some of my new tomato babies - lots of repeats and new to us. Please, oh please let the virus stay away this spring.

A trellis with a small planting of red leaf lettuce that we have been munching on for a while. We pick the outer leaves and the plants just keep on growing new ones in this weather.

Thanks for looking! I hope you have some beautiful tomato and tomato plant pictures in the spring.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; January 4, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old January 4, 2016   #42
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Looking good! Where do you get the yellow stickies, and what are they called?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #43
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Looking good! Where do you get the yellow stickies, and what are they called?
Thanks Jillian!!

Here is a link to the Seabright yellow sticky traps. You can get them from the link below or amazon if you use them.

http://www.seabrightlabs.com/trap.htm

Don't get a different kind because it's been reported on the Florida thread that some of the others are too sticky and catch lizards, birds, etc.

Ginny
Old January 5, 2016   #44
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much Ginny, I am definitely ordering some of them!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #45
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I've got it bad... real bad! I didn't get many tomatoes in the fall crop so now I am way over compensating with the spring crop. Not sure where I will find room for everything. But boy oh boy is it fun and also a relaxing distraction from everything going on in life. I have started so many fun and new to me varieties along with some favorite "every year" tomatoes.

Here is the magic solution I'm using on the seedlings - Armour Si - silica to strengthen the cell walls of the plants along with Floraduo A and B. Super weak solution with every watering. I wonder if the seedlings get confused with being inside at night where it's the high 70's at night and outside during the day (high 60's to low 70's during the day the last few days).

Some of the seedlings. I have to cull down to one seedling per cup (boo hoo).

Thats black seeded simpson lettuce on the top rwo. Trying that because of the lettuce thread recommendations.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; January 7, 2016 at 04:38 PM.