Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 25, 2016   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default white tomatoes

here is a picture of some white tomatoes i found while picking some ripe red burpee early girls, kinda hard to see them with the sun shining on them but they are pure white.not pale green ,white lol have to wait and see what they do.---tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (83.9 KB, 141 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #2
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

White tomato varieties are green (pale or otherwise) when immature. If these were truly white here, then they are ripe here.

What varieties did you plant?
Old July 25, 2016   #3
encore
Tomatovillian™

you must not have read what i said. they are white as a piece of paper! they aren't ripe yet as far as i know, (will check tomorrow) i stated they were burpee early girl, the rest are light green or red, these are white.
Old July 25, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Huh. Looks like a spot that's really dark due to being in the middle of thick foliage. I wonder whether tomato fruit can be "blanched" if kept out of the sun entirely, like if you wrapped them in a completely opaque covering, and whether that would affect taste and final color. Not that it would necessarily be something you'd want to do for any other reason than curiosity.

In Darren's defense, it wasn't clear to me at first, either, whether these were on a different plant.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #5
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
you must not have read what i said. they are white as a piece of paper! they aren't ripe yet as far as i know, (will check tomorrow) i stated they were burpee early girl, the rest are light green or red, these are white.
I read what you wrote just fine, but thank you for assuming so poorly of me. I (and many others here) usually grow several different kinds of tomatoes. If I was out picking ripe red Early Girls, it would be very simple for me to find something unusual in the garden on an entirely different plant.
Old July 26, 2016   #6
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

I think that's a mutation that discolors unripe fruit, same kind that lutescent tomatoes. I bet they will color red as they mature
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #7
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Would such a mutation only show up on some tomatoes on the plant, though? I know different shapes of tomatoes can appear on the same plant, but shape is affected by growing conditions, physical feedback. etc. Where's Carolyn when you need her?
Old July 26, 2016   #8
encore
Tomatovillian™

sorry for my comments, i'll just watch and listen from now on.---tom
Old July 26, 2016   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think that's a bit drastic, since we all like to hear from one another on here. Maybe just keep in mind that online communication frequently requires patience and giving people the benefit of the doubt?
Old July 27, 2016   #10
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hope I didn't lead you to feel this way. If so, I apologize.
Old July 28, 2016   #11
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It could be what is called a 'sport' where just one branch on a plant produces a fruit which is not like the others on the same plant. It is a genetic mutation. The seeds of the fruit will may come true to what the new fruit looks like. Of course, it also might be that it did not change color due to lack of light on the fruit. Keep checking and when the fruit softens it should be ripe at whatever color it is. I find this very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

It would be nice to hear what Carolyn has to say......
Old July 28, 2016   #12
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. Please up-date and post new pics. I do, and we do, like seeing odd mutations(?) or just odd confusions.

If getting good pics of your toms in full sun with green leafs casting green color, try holding up a neutral card behind....I've been using the thick card easily found on any standard 8 1'2 x 11 note pad in every office...a matt grey will photo clean. Thick enough to lift your toms just out of the green filter of leaves without harm.

Don't get frustrated what you see that we can't.

I have similar happening now with pale yellow ripe that should be deep red. (thinking heat, drought, then massive rain.)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #13
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this does look interesting! Please keep the descriptions coming as they ripen (and don't forget to save seeds!)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Let me try to get this straight before I make any comments.

You had some Early Girl F1 plants out,I don't know how many,and one or more?of those plants had one branch only with what you'recalling pure white fruits.

Is that correct?

Carolyn, who does know of an association between GWRipes throwing so called whites, but is surprised to see you say it was paper white since of all the so called whites I've grown,only one was closest to being pure white,and that's White Queen. But is still wondering since I've never heard of a red fruited variety throwing a white.
Old July 28, 2016   #15
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Huh. Looks like a spot that's really dark due to being in the middle of thick foliage. I wonder whether tomato fruit can be "blanched" if kept out of the sun entirely, like if you wrapped them in a completely opaque covering, and whether that would affect taste and final color. Not that it would necessarily be something you'd want to do for any other reason than curiosity.
This.
I have seen plenty of immature fruit completely covered by dense foliage that were almost pure white when discovered.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote