Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 3, 2016   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes and Pepper harvest

This week many of the Big Boy & Jet Star tomatoes ripened, I kept what we could use and gave my neighbors each about 1/2 dozen and will be doing the same next week. Many of the fruits are just starting to get a blush of color, the production of tomatoes has been GREAT! I was worried growing indeterminate's in a 7 gal. Walmart bag but the results speak volumes. Can you see the difference in bell pepper plants in the pic below, the green & red peppers are a hybrid named North Star the yellow are California Wonder you can see in the pics how much larger the peppers are and the yield of the North Star plants have been amazing. As a result next year the only bell pepper worth planting for me is North Star their well adapted to the northern climates shorter growing season & offer large yields & large fruits! Hoping I can get 1 more harvest of peppers before the first hard frost. And I should note I've been applying 15-30-15 water soluble fertilizer every 2 weeks since July to all my plants except my green beans. By no means am I telling you to do this just telling you for me it worked well since I wasn't able to amend my potting mix with any compost tea or other tricks I've seen others use. I guess my advice if asked would be apply sparingly a little goes a long way, every 2 wks I use 5 gal. of the mix to feed 14 plants in grow bags I try to give each plant equal amounts as I apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes & Peppers 002.JPG (287.0 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Tomatoes & Peppers 003.JPG (280.1 KB, 244 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote