Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 21, 2006   #1
YellowJacket
Tomatovillian™

Default Another lighting question

I planted my seeds about three weeks ago and once they germinated I put them under lights for about 16-17 hours a day. They are growing rather fast with about half of them with true leaves showing. I want to give them less light to slow down the growth. Should I slowly decrease the light or should I just go straight to about twelve hours?
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #2
YellowJacket
Tomatovillian™

I am concerned about that but mostly I am concerned with them growing too big before the weather turns. At their current rate they will be ready to plant weeks before the last frost date.
Old February 21, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You really can't slow down growth by reducing light - all it will do is stretch the plants. Best thing to do, actually, is get them into sunlight (the real deal, but slowly) - intense sun causes less stretching. Also, you may need to transplant them to an intermediate pot sooner, burying the stem.

Isn't it always surprising seeing how rapidly they grow!

Craig
Old February 21, 2006   #4
YellowJacket
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew without any artificial light and it seemed like it took forever for them to grow. This year I hardly recognize them when I look at them in the morning.
Old February 21, 2006   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

While Craig has the best solution it may not be possible for you to put them in sunlight. I think he must have more stable weather over there in NC than I do here in S.W. Ohio. Our temps vary too much for me to take a chance putting them outside early on.

So another thing you can try is to keep the lights as close as possible to the top of the plants. I’m making the assumption you are using fluorescent lights. Since, as Craig said, they are stretching for the light, give them nowhere to go. I’m talking within an inch or so. Heck, if you’re using fluorescent it won’t hurt if they tough a little. This may mean almost daily adjustment of your lights but it has helped me in the past when I became over anxious and planted to soon.