Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 24, 2006   #16
kristy
Tomatovillian™

I label styrofoam cups with the variety name and number of seeds of that variety that I intend to plant (up to 8 or 10 seeds per cup), and poke holes in the bottom for drainage. I put my promix or a seedstarting mix into a bucket or plastic bin and pour water into it, mixing and squeezing with my hands until I get the level of moisture that "feels right" (sometimes I use dilute Algamin for this step, especially if the seed is older.) I fill the cups with the moist potting mix, and then I make indentations for the seeds, place the seeds, and lightly cover with the soilless mix. I mist with a spray bottle and cover with plastic wrap. I put the cups in a cardboard box on top of a heating pad (the kind for aches and pains), and check them daily until they geminate. I do this with the intention to mist the pots as necessary, but they are often moist enough until germination that I don't usually need to mist them. Last year, I potted up twice. Once to individual styrofoam cups, labelled on the sides with a weatherproof marking pen, and then finally to four inch pots with popsicle stick labels.

I like being able to just write on the styrofoam cups and not having labels sticking out of the tops of my little pots. It's also nice to have them separate so that I can put them into the lights as they germinate and pot up on a variety by variety basis without bothering with a whole six pack of different varieties that are growing at different rates.
kristy is offline   Reply With Quote