Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2018   #1306
salix
Tomatovillian™

Well, we are finally getting (mostly) warm nights and the tomatoes are ripening. Had my first KARMA Pinks this morning - wonderful! Lovely sweetness, good size (2 bite cherry), and a healthy plant.

Karen, I would love to try all of your new releases next season as my 2019 'project'. It would be nice to compare all of them in these particular growing conditions.
Old August 6, 2018   #1307
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Well, we are finally getting (mostly) warm nights and the tomatoes are ripening. Had my first KARMA Pinks this morning - wonderful! Lovely sweetness, good size (2 bite cherry), and a healthy plant.

Karen, I would love to try all of your new releases next season as my 2019 'project'. It would be nice to compare all of them in these particular growing conditions.
Oh Willa that would be great! And Barb and Bill too!
Very pleased they did well for you while up there. I am happy to know they can grow in the North, the south and everywhere in between

I am excited for you guys to try them all.
Thank you !
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #1308
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Karen and Marsha,

A few more photos of KP! My neighbor is growing one plant and is over the moon over the taste. I had to eat another one today, and it’s sweet with a bit of acidity which I personally love especially with a touch of salt. Fantastic! LOVELY LOVELY TOMATO! Great work both of you and can’t wait to try your next batch of tomatoes from this project. I will be saving seed for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE683CC1-F423-4826-B126-A0B32B4330CB.jpg (241.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 4F3C70E6-C2F2-4461-8DCD-55095B3CF9E1.jpg (346.5 KB, 138 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #1309
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Hi Karen and Marsha,

A few more photos of KP! My neighbor is growing one plant and is over the moon over the taste. I had to eat another one today, and it’s sweet with a bit of acidity which I personally love especially with a touch of salt. Fantastic! LOVELY LOVELY TOMATO! Great work both of you and can’t wait to try your next batch of tomatoes from this project. I will be saving seed for sure!
That's so great to read! Yours look beautiful in the photos.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #1310
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
That's so great to read! Yours look beautiful in the photos.
They look really mouthwatering.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #1311
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Sharon for the review and that appetizing photo
Very pleased you like them and plan to grow it again, I look forward to seeing you grow the rest
KarenO
Old August 7, 2018   #1312
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

OK, three have come off the vine early, and they are MINE.

JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2018   #1313
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
OK, three have come off the vine early, and they are MINE.

Old August 10, 2018   #1314
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Karen and Marsha, congratulations on the whole KARMA line. Love ,love, love my KARMA pink and can't wait to try the others. This is my family's favorite size of tomato, easy to eat right off the vine but large and meaty enough to handle caprese salad too. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. Here is a pic of my KARMA's with Zena's gift too. Also below is a comparison shot of like sized tomatoes for those who haven't grown Karma Pink but may have grown the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3380.jpg (433.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3361.jpg (297.5 KB, 86 views)
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #1315
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Karen and Marsha, congratulations on the whole KARMA line. Love ,love, love my KARMA pink and can't wait to try the others. This is my family's favorite size of tomato, easy to eat right off the vine but large and meaty enough to handle caprese salad too. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work. Here is a pic of my KARMA's with Zena's gift too. Also below is a comparison shot of like sized tomatoes for those who haven't grown Karma Pink but may have grown the others.
Your photos are wonderful, and your enthusiasm is delightful. It's a joy to read how much you like these. The others in this line are just as meaty, and a few are even better tasting. Stay tuned.....
Old August 10, 2018   #1316
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

How do the others do with splitting? This was a big issue with KP here (and I can't do much about our frequent summer downpours). Do you have a chart/matrix of the characteristics that you see of the Karma Line?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #1317
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
How do the others do with splitting? This was a big issue with KP here (and I can't do much about our frequent summer downpours). Do you have a chart/matrix of the characteristics that you see of the Karma Line?

-GG
Splitting was a problem for me too. I found, and have frequently posted, that to avoid this you should pick at first blush and let ripen on the counter. They still taste excellent. The splitting in moisture is likely due to their thin skin and very meaty flesh(absorbs more water).
I haven't seen them split while still green.
Old August 10, 2018   #1318
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

That is very good advice which I am practicing diligently this summer as I have several varieties that are prone to splitting when the ground is excessively wet. It does make a difference and I wonder why I never practiced this simple solution before! Still waiting for a ripe Karma - plant is looking better at least and loaded with tomatoes.
My tomato buddy tried one of hers yesterday even though it wasn't as ripe as it should have been and declared it good with a nice robust tomatoey flavor. Am waiting till she tries a truly ripe one and am itching to try my own - the suspense is killing me!!! I keep standing in front of the plant willing it to just blush!! Hopefully soon.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #1319
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great photos HL!
Thank you for growing them and it makes me very happy that your family enjoys them!
That’s a nice big Zena’s too
Karen
Old August 10, 2018   #1320
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Another update. Taste is sweet when I let them ripen more. I’m getting some very nice sized ones and have started saving seeds from the ones in the photos. Can’t wait to try your next varieties!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D160DBA0-6A7F-4C61-96FA-ECD63E1043BC.jpg (297.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg D309CDDC-D697-4542-9AA4-3ED96D894078.jpg (296.8 KB, 69 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote